Tun0 - Error: Network device is not present

Hi,

I have Kong-OpenWRT installed on my R7800. I have NordVPN configured and recently updated the firmware using the following after trial and error which works for my purposes after doing research ... (I've successfully used it in the past)

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 10.45.18 AM

I updated my R7800 successfully and had an active working NordVPN connection for about 2 days.

Today, I tried to use the internet but realized it was not responding. Poking around I came up on the following which is my main concern because for the life of me I can't seem to get this working

doing some research I came up on several post(s)

tun0 is created by OpenVPN. Thus the lack of tun0 means that OpenVPN isn't running, or it failed to connect to the VPN server.

Restart the OpenVPN service then check the system log for an OpenVPN error.

Did you just share the encryption keys for your provider's server or am I mistaken?

I saw Nothing, Nothing

I don't think I did but I just took it down anyway. The files are public and if they are opened within some sort of note editing application any one can view it I believe ...

The only thing secret is your username / password, which you had redacted.

The config line is supposed to be auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/secret where secret is the file with the username and password.

Ok, thanks for making me aware guys. That was a n00b move on my part.

I executed the following command CL

Which in turn made the "Network device is not present" not there anymore ...

And the system log now shows
SL

What command line can I execute to start the openvpn manually ?

The config line is supposed to be auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/secret where secret is the file with the username and password.

@mk24 ... nordvpn instructions does not indicate to have auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/secret as per there website. I have always just used the "auth-user-pass secret" and had established a connection however I will try your suggestion.

Full path to a file never hurts.

It is best practice not to have any files named *.conf in /etc/openvpn. Convention is to name them .ovpn so you can have more than one and it won't automatically load. Then in /etc/config/openvpn point to the file with an option config. /etc/config/openvpn should be only three lines:

config openvpn 'nordvpn'
    option enabled '1'
    option config '/etc/openvpn/nordvpnblahblah.ovpn'

This will set up OpenVPN to run as an OpenWrt service. Use service openvpn start to (re)start it and service openvpn enable to make it start on boot.