Trouble accessing certain websites

I've tried using my mobile data to access forum.netgate.com and it looks like the IP is blacklisted there as well, mobile data has both IPv4 and IPv6 so it's either my ISP messing up something with IPv6 connectivity or it might be an MTU issue from my side?

If you are in blacklist it is how it works.

1 Like

I'm not really though... it's my IPv6 messing it up or changing up the MTU. If I was blacklisted I wouldn't been able to access it using my IPv4 only :thinking:

You can believe what you want, there is no link past being same ASN between ip4 and ip6 addresses at your home.

I'm not sure how an issue regarding IPv6 and MTU boils down to me being blacklisted? I clearly pointed out something is wrong with either one of those two and instead of timing me out it just shows blacklisted-ip...?

You wrote it? So your ip6 is blacklisted and it will take time to clear reputation.

1 Like

Okay but why does that time me out in some websites? Majority of the websites load up just fine but very few ones seem to be persistent in timing me out...

EDIT: I did some testing on this website: https://ipv6-test.com/

I seem to get ICMP filtered

Because they drop packets from blacklisted addresses.

1 Like

Doesn't seem to show me blacklisted on any website though.

It is strange that dns4 does not return v6 addresses. Try something like doh dot dnscrypt proxy e.g. against cloudflare.

Is there any easier way to set this up quickly and test it out?

EDIT: Even more strange findings, With Firefox it says IPv4 is not supported and DNS6 + IP6 is unreachable but the first two are not... :confused:

EDIT 2: Trying it on MS Edge the DNS part looks flaky, maybe the website isn't a sure way of rooting out issues?

ipv4 not supported hmmmm i think test page is broken.

1 Like

You can try https://fast.com/ , it shows your v4/v6 addresses as netflix would see them.

Nothing out of ordinary

Maybe something is not peering near you, but in principle browser at least should fall back to other address family in few seconds.

I guess the best bet is to lie blame on the ISP? :thinking: it sucks that our ISP doesn't have a status page to at-least indicate if something is abnormal... everything is just guess work till now

If it makes feel you better - everybody with similar connection suffers to no fix....

I guess I'll just wait it out for a day or two and see if situation deteriorates or improves. Thanks for all the help, will update here.

Check local forums, best can be seen from diagnostics - yes, something gets dropped somewhere....

2 Likes

If icmpv6 get filtered then this can lead to black hole connections. Icmpv6 is an integral part of the ipv6. Check if the right icmpv6 types are selected in your firewall rules