TRENDnet AC2600 (TEW-827DRU v1.0R)

Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

I was going to tell you I had it disabled, but I looked and sure enough the kernel module is loaded and I must have included it in my image or something at some point. I don't actually have it configured though, so it's not even doing me any good.

I'll blacklist them and reboot.

Was thinking of buying this router but looks like you have stopped supporting it.

I support it now as much as I ever did.

There hasn't been a new OpenWRT release in several months now so there isn't anything to work on in regards to updates. You can use the opkg system to get the newest packages, and unlike many other devices this one has plenty of local storage space for the updates.

The last time I was playing around with the current master branch things were not stable due to some major changes so I don't recommend it.

Be aware that you probably will only find hardware revision v2.0R in shops these days, which comes with different (unsupported) and inferior hardware.

Thanks for letting me know so quick. The hardware of this Trendnet looks good but I read the stock firmware are no good. Lede should stabilize it.

It is a clearance item at a local computer store and I checked, it is v1.0r.

slh is right -- I'm glad he chimed in.

See my post above discussing the subject for more details.

Us long-time OpenWRT users and devs know that many of the hardware manufactures like to change up the internal hardware on devices while using the same model number, and they just call it a new hardware version/revision. I personally see this as being downright immoral. TrendNET in particular does this a lot. But your average user/noob could easily get fooled into buying an unsupported device, thinking it's supported.

I'll update my top post with some info on the subject.

Also if for some reason you don't like this device, go for one of the other ipq806x-based systems. They are all pretty awesome and I've seen a lot of really good used deals on ebay in the last year. I even picked up another spare tew827dru on ebay for like $25 shipped here a few months back. I plan to use it to work on uboot again some day when I have time.

JMOMO. I am extremely grateful for all your hard work with this router. I am new to OpenWRT and up until 3 days ago I have used the stock Trendnet firmware. I could never keep an IPV6 address more than 20 minutes. I installed v18.06.01_Luci and my router has been rock solid. Everything works including the IPV6 connection.
I am writing this to ask if the wifi LED lights issue has been fixed or not? Those lights are the only things that I can not get working. I thought I read that there is a fix going around. But I have no idea where to find the fix or even where to start installing said fix. Can someone please let me know if there is a fix and how to install it? I know I have some reading to do but every time I try to open the OpenWRT manual I get a 404 error. I have no idea where to start. Thank you.

Edit I do have v1.0R

It's fixed up in the master branch of code, but the last time I tested the 802.11 wireless was very unstable. That was two or three months ago, so maybe things have changed. I don't know.

You would need to build and test your own images based on the patches I've published, assuming they still work with the current master branch (also not tested in a few months).

If you just wait a month or two for the next stable release, it will almost certainly be fixed then.

If there isn't a new stable release here in the next month or two I'll probably build something from the master branch and publish it.

let me know what your skill level is and I can give you some guidance on patching and building your own, but if you've never done something like that before it's not terribly easy.

Thank you very much for your reply. Yea I am a noobie when it comes to this although I am a very fast learner. I can wait a couple months to see what you or someone comes out with to maybe fix the issues. So far I am loving what you have done. Much better than the stock firmware. Please keep myself and others informed here as to the outcome of a fix for the LED lights and stability of wireless. Right now this is all overwhelming to me as I just started reading about/using OpenWRT for this router 3 days ago. Thank you again for all of your work on this.

@jmomo
Thanks for supporting this device.

I have successfully used your patches to compile image from the new 18.06.02 release.
Additionally I made a patch to support wifi leds.

diff --git a/package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile b/package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile
index 91c08fd..6c32259 100644
--- a/package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile
+++ b/package/kernel/mac80211/Makefile
@@ -75,6 +75,7 @@ PKG_CONFIG_DEPENDS:= \
 	CONFIG_PACKAGE_RTLWIFI_DEBUG \
 	CONFIG_ATH9K_SUPPORT_PCOEM \
 	CONFIG_ATH9K_TX99 \
+	CONFIG_ATH10K_LEDS \
 	CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD \

include $(INCLUDE_DIR)/package.mk
@@ -350,6 +351,15 @@ Atheros IEEE 802.11ac family of chipsets. For now only
 PCI is supported.
 endef

+define KernelPackage/ath10k/config
+
+       config ATH10K_LEDS
+               bool "Enable LED support"
+               default y
+               depends on PACKAGE_kmod-ath10k
+
+endef
+
 #Broadcom firmware
 ifneq ($(CONFIG_B43_FW_6_30),)
   PKG_B43_FWV4_NAME:=broadcom-wl
@@ -1636,6 +1646,7 @@ config-$(CONFIG_ATH_USER_REGD) += ATH_USER_REGD
 config-$(CONFIG_ATH9K_SUPPORT_PCOEM) += ATH9K_PCOEM
 config-$(CONFIG_ATH9K_TX99) += ATH9K_TX99
 config-$(CONFIG_ATH9K_UBNTHSR) += ATH9K_UBNTHSR
+config-$(CONFIG_ATH10K_LEDS) += ATH10K_LEDS

config-$(call config_package,ath9k-htc) += ATH9K_HTC
 config-$(call config_package,ath10k) += ATH10K ATH10K_PCI
diff --git a/target/linux/ipq806x/base-files/etc/board.d/01_leds b/target/linux/ipq806x/base-files/etc/board.d/01_leds
index fea4d7c..e6c51c3 100755
--- a/target/linux/ipq806x/base-files/etc/board.d/01_leds
+++ b/target/linux/ipq806x/base-files/etc/board.d/01_leds
@@ -42,6 +42,11 @@ tplink,vr2600v)
 	ucidef_set_led_wlan "wlan5g" "WLAN5G" "${boardname}:white:wlan5g" "phy1tpt"
 	ucidef_set_led_switch "wan" "wan" "${boardname}:white:wan" "switch0" "0x20"
 	;;
+trendnet,tew827dru)
+	ucidef_set_led_usbport "usb" "USB" "${boardname}:blue:usb" "usb1-port1" "usb2-port1" "usb3-port1" "usb4-port1"
+	ucidef_set_led_wlan "wlan2g" "WLAN2G" "ath10k-phy1" "phy1tpt"
+	ucidef_set_led_wlan "wlan5g" "WLAN5G" "ath10k-phy0" "phy0tpt"
+	;;
 zyxel,nbg6817)
 	ucidef_set_led_wlan "wlan2g" "WLAN2G" "${boardname}:amber:wifi2g" "phy1tpt"
 	ucidef_set_led_wlan "wlan5g" "WLAN5G" "${boardname}:amber:wifi5g" "phy0tpt"

Thanks! I saw the new release today. I'll go try it out here later on my test device and see how that goes.

I'd suggest to take the three patches from TRENDnet AC2600 (TEW-827DRU v1.0R) instead (the first/ largest one should already be in 18.06.0 and up, leaving only the simpler second and third one; both 'should' apply without changes), that approach will be closer to the master branch and avoids 'cruft' in /etc/config/system.

I'm still following. I appreciate the work ya'll are doing. I'm still lost when it comes to all this stuff. So I am waiting patiently here for the LED fixes. Thank you again.

Here are new builds based on OpenWRT v18.06.2:

http://jmomo.net/files/lede/TRENDnet_TEW-827DRU_20190204223906_OpenWRT_v18.06.2_minimal/bin/

http://jmomo.net/files/lede/TRENDnet_TEW-827DRU_20190204225752_OpenWRT_v18.06.2_luci/bin/

Patch set is v14, which is basically the same as v13 but I added two commits for the 802.11 LEDs.

http://jmomo.net/files/lede/patch_sets/

In the OpenWRT v18.06.2 release that I published today, I added two patches which enable the 802.11/WIFI LEDs to work. The big patches to the ath10k driver have already been merged into OpenWRT, but the configuration to enable it's use wasn't there yet.

I created patch set v14, which is nearly identical to v13 except that it adds two patches to enable the LEDs.

The method I used is basically identical to what sunnyqeen published. Thanks dude!

For new systems with a fresh configuration, the LEDs will start working immediately by default.

However, for existing systems with an existing configuration, the owner will need to add the system config items to enable the LEDs. They won't just start working on their own due to the way the OpenWRT config system works.

Running the following commands over ssh will enable the 802.11/WIFI LED triggers:

uci set system.led_wlan2g=led
uci set system.led_wlan2g.name='WLAN2G'
uci set system.led_wlan2g.sysfs='ath10k-phy1'
uci set system.led_wlan2g.trigger='phy1tpt'
uci set system.led_wlan5g=led
uci set system.led_wlan5g.name='WLAN5G'
uci set system.led_wlan5g.sysfs='ath10k-phy0'
uci set system.led_wlan5g.trigger='phy0tpt'
uci commit
/etc/init.d/system reload

That last "system reload" command wasn't working for me on my test system, but that might have been due to some local config changes I've made that broke stuff. If it doesn't work, just reboot and the LEDs should start working.

A couple of lines should appear in your /etc/config/system file:

config led 'led_wlan2g'
        option name 'WLAN2G'
        option sysfs 'ath10k-phy1'
        option trigger 'phy1tpt'

config led 'led_wlan5g'
        option name 'WLAN5G'
        option sysfs 'ath10k-phy0'
        option trigger 'phy0tpt'

If you don't want UCI to touch your config files, you can manually append the config above to your /etc/config/system file.

Here's the wiki doc on LED triggers if you need it:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/led_configuration

Works like a charm! Thank you very much to everyone for your hard work. I now have a fully functioning router. This includes IPV6 and all lights. I am happy once again with this router. Thank you again!

Just installed the update, everything works fine, thanks !

regards,
Louis

I tried for many hours yesterday to get this firmware onto my TEW-827DRU v1.0R. I was able to reach the "uboot http Recovery Loader". (although this seems quite finicky to reach). I would upload a factory image.bin "successfully". Then moments later the device would auto-recover its original crapware. I tried three images with the same results. The luci versions of the two 18.06 and the 17.01. I've never been so frustrated loading custom firmware before. After hours I gave up and reflashed 1.04 OEM version and restored my settings. Perhaps I should attempt the minimal image? Then load luci afterward? I manage some headless linux servers, so I'm not afraid. I would just prefer a GUI front end.

It feels like I missed some obvious step, since I see others have had success with this...
Any help would appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

How do you know that the system is auto-recovering the OEM image?

Is OpenWRT booting a first time? If it isn't and you've never actually seen OpenWRT running, then it's probably not auto-recovering and it's more likely that the new image isn't being installed correctly in the first place, for reasons unknown.

The best way to troubleshoot is to get a serial console, which isn't too hard on this device. See my notes above for info on that. If you need help purchasing advice on a TTL-level serial adapter let me know.

You can also use the OEM firmware loader page to install the OpenWRT image, but it will revert on the second boot. That would at least prove that the image file you are trying to install is good and that the system successfully installs it.

This device does have a redundant partition system, which I never fully figured out, but using the Recovery Loader bypasses it.

Also if you get a serial console you can install via the TFTP method.

I have experienced a few installs via the Recovery Loader which didn't take, but I never figured out why that happened and wasn't able to reproduce it. Out of the dozens and dozens of times I installed via this method, I think it only happened twice.