Transmission script after torrent done crashes Transmission on newer OpenWRT version

I have 19.07.8 on my WRT32X and wanted to upgrade. Luckily I have a test WRT1200AC which the config files are interchangeable (just some FW things are different).

I installed 23.05.2 and also 22.03.2 freshly and installed everything like on my 19.07.8 but then all from within the normal settings in luci as I know there can be major issues with newer releases of OpenWRT.
Everything works, except the "torrent done script". The owner settings and other security settings on the files are the same and good too.
I also installed 19.07.8 from scratch, to see if the WRT32X has something special going on, but when I installed that on the WRT1200AC, the script did work.

I even tried to run Transmission as root, but transmission just crashen on running the script. Without the script everything is fine. Though that is really an annoyance, since I will have to unpack and copy all the downloads manually.
In the log there is nothing I can see, not even if I put the logging of Transmission on debug.

Anyone has an idea what is going on?

"I have a script you know nothing about, it crashes transmission, please help me!"

is that an accurate summary of your issue ?

No not at all, the script works on all my previous installations. It doesn't do anything special, just unrars and copies files.

I also used just a script that said echo "here" and nothing more, still crashed and the properties were the same as my previous script.

A bit nicer response would be more welcoming :wink: no need to be like that.

does 19.07 use ujail ?

if not, check if https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/19403 could be relevant.

1 Like

Will check it later, thanks for the suggestion.

Nope, 19.07 doesn't use ujail, so disabling that might help? Any idea how I can do that safely?

I'd probably do the opposite,

add procd_add_jail_mount_rw entries into the service file, as described at the end of

2 Likes

Tried everything there, but no joy. Not sure if it is because of ujail, is there any way to disable it? I have a test router here, so won't be for daily driver purposes, just to analyze if the problem lies in ujail.

I kind of abandoned trying to fix this issue for a while, but would like to upgrade, would like to keep my WRT32X secure.

As previously stated, tried the potential solutions, without a positive result. Adding to that, I do not use an incomplete dir, might be part of the reason why it didn't work, do not want to use that way of dealing with downloads either.

If anyone has more insight on this, I would be very happy.

unless you find a person with the same issue, no, you'll need to provide details, including the script.

Thank you for the reply, as mentioned before, I tried a very basic script that only does an echo and nothing more. Even then Transmission crashes with no logging about why.

tried running transmission in the foreground, with the script enabled ?

Maybe a noobish question, but never tried running it in the foreground. Any idea how to do that with Transmission?
Sounds like a good way indeed to check what is going on.

try starting it once, using the init script, to generate the config file, run it manually afterwards.

/etc/init.d/transmission start
/etc/init.d/transmission stop
/usr/bin/transmission-daemon -f -g /tmp/transmission

FYI you might run into permissions issues afterwards, since running it in foreground executes it as root by default, and not the transmission user.

Thanks, will try later.

I have a second router where I can just test stuff out and start over if needed, so no issue about the rights part.