TPLink RE200 EU v1 help

Hi, I updated to openwrt/luci latest stable release (non-snapshot) and I can't get the device to work as it's intended (wifi repeater.) I followed the https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration luci method here but I can't get the device to have internet to download relayd files.

I connected the device to my router via ethernet in with re200 in dhcp client mode and finally got internet access to the device, download the relayd packages then I tried to do the insturctions from scratch but it doesn't work.

My TPLink Archer c7 v1 (stock) is on 192.168.0.1 network. My openwrt re200 connects to its 5ghz wifi network (as per the instructions) but it's not accessing internet. Also DHCP isn't forwarded, my mobile devices don't get IP when I connect to RE200's master/APnetworks. If I do static IP on my mobiles, I get kicked out in seconds.

I know the going back to stock is a very challenging task with this so I'm asking someone to either create a pre-configured repeater openwrt luci software or write better insturctions then on the official pages.

Thanks

I assume that you don't have the possibility for a wired backbone connection, i.e. leaving it connected via Ethernet?

Did you read the Warning on top of the linked Wiki page? Did you try to use WDS instead (https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/atheroswds)?

Rather unlikely WDS will work with OEM firmware though (which he's running on his main router).

I'll get back to you guys tomorrow. I'm too tired to try all the steps from scratch and +WDS from stock firmware. Thank you for your interest in trying to help.

@andyboeh I have the possibility to do that however it beats the purpose, I had to use a 10m lan cable, hide it under the carpets just to get coverage in the far away rooms. Still, access points of the openwrt on re200 are finicky. They disconnect.

Nope. Just wasted another hour. WDS mode doesn't work either. Followed the link in @andyboeh 's post.

Considering this is a device witha specific purpose, can someone just be kind enough to create an openwrt/luci firmware just makes it work like as it is intended? Preconfigured settings with minimal meddling? Returning to stock is pretty much no option for me currently.

I consider OpenWrt the exact opposite: It's a firmware without a specific purpose, and that's the reason to flash it. There is no need/advantage in doing any pre-configuration as you can do everything on the device.

That said: We can help you get it running. I just read the Wiki article you mentioned first (https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration), this seems the way to go in your case. Remember that it is not complete, it is for connecting wired devices to an upstream WiFi network. You need to add an access point on top of the instructions.
Try to follow it once more and then please post the content of the files /etc/config/wireless, /etc/config/dhcp and /etc/config/network. Please make sure to cover any sensitive information.

To sum up: You would like your RE200 to connect to your main router and provide the same WiFi network to other wireless clients. The LAN port is not required.

I know, but if the official instructions are not working, and going back to stock is too hard, perhaps the open source community should take a gander at how the retail/for profit companies doing UX-wise.

"You need to add an access point on top of the instructions."

I don't understand this? I followed the instructions to the t. Even if the device got internet with AP wifi to re200 wifi (which it doesn't as per the diagnostics section), the firmware I think is borked because both 2.4 and 5 ghz channels kick me out of connection after a few seconds. DHCP doesn't give me IP, when I set static I got disconnectedin a few seconds.

Sorry, this is not how you do things. The main page should have disclosed this.

If you think you messed up the settings, just hit reset button and start over again. It's easy this way.
As I understood, you need install relayd package but you got no internet. So just reset the router and use mobile hotspot as access point temporarily and connect router with it. Then download the required packages then start setting it up again.

I did try that. The instructions don't work and the wifi access point from re200 don't let any device stay connected.

I used re200 as dhcp client with cable connected to main archer router and got internet that way and downloaded the relayd package, as stated in my first post. Then I switched it back to static as per the instructions but nope, nothing works. Not internet, not wifi connectivity.

Well something is not right... The fact wifi not is not connectable means devices are not receiving ip from main router. I do hope router has been actually connected to main ap. Could be a password typo?

In order to be able to verify that there is no configuration mistake, please post your configuration files: /etc/config/wireless, /etc/config/network and /etc/config/dhcp. Please redact any sensitive information.