TP-Link WR841N V11 - 18.06.9 Add Luci basic admin user

Hi People, hoping someone can help me...

We have several models of the WR841N in use for customers, I built a basic image for v13 (using 21.02) last week and it works a treat. Its a very basic build, stripped of most things. The purpose is just a simple wifi switch, in the image I bridged the WAN and LAN ports, set a default SSID / password (the old pin), and added a simple base user to RPCD with restricted use so that my customer cant break things with root access.

I simply added:

config login
option username 'customer'
option timeout '300'
option password 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' (where this is the encrypted password)
list read ''
list write '
'

into the RPCD file before i used imagebuilder to make the image. ( I obviously replaced the * lines with my list of allowed services)

I copied this and tried to make the same image for v11. Everything works as expected (with some fine tuning) except for the luci login. I just get invalid username and/or password. Ive stripped it back to the above with * for read and write, tried adding the same user to shadow and passwd files and settings the option password as '$p$customer' and using passwd customer in ssh to set the password, and I cannot get it working. Is there something im missing ? I cant use the luci-app-acl app to make it work as it wasnt available in this version 18.06.9, and i believe that any newer versions dont support this router model.

Please Help !

Not a solution, but perhaps a workaround

ok thats interesting, ill have a look later today. Can I still use that with imagebuilder ? as I make quite a few customisations such as SSID, ip, etc.

Thankyou

Only if you make it yourself, this isn't an official build, these images are slimmed down as much as possible, check the thread I linked to, or ask the OP, if he can share the .config file.

1 Like