TP-Link Deco S4 WAN / LAN setup problems

I followed the instructions here: OpenWrt support for Deco S4 and installed openwrt just fine. I also installed luci ok. There are 2 ports on this thing. Neither of them are dedicated WAN/LAN using stock firmware. Right now I have one set to static ip 192.168.0.200 with gateway of 192.168.0.38 (my main router). I just did this to get internet so I can install luci.

I want to set up this up as my main router so one port as a WAN port and one as a dhcp server/lan port for the rest of my network (get rid of my current main router). Ideally, the WAN port should be a DHCP client right and pull it's IP straight from the modem?

I searched for instructions and tried adding another vlan (vlan 2) with the CPU tagged and the 1st port off and 2nd port untagged (tried tagged as well). Then I added the interface as a static ip with 192.168.2.1 and selected vlan eth0.2, but I can't seem to get a dhcp address when connecting it to my network card via ethernet.

Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Here's my /etc/config/network:

config interface 'loopback'
        option device 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd70:cd05:ead8::/48'

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth0.1'

config device
        option name 'eth0.1'
        option macaddr 'd8:47:32:cf:63:1c'

config interface 'lan'
        option device 'br-lan'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.0.200'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'
        option gateway '192.168.0.38'
        option dns '192.168.0.38'

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '0t 3'
        option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '2'
        option ports '0t 5t'
        option vid '2'

config interface 'LAN'
        option proto 'static'
        option device 'eth0.2'
        option ipaddr '192.168.2.1'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'

config device
        option name 'eth0.2'

Better use lowercase interface names.
Lan2 port must be untagged in vlan2.
It doesn't seem to be assigned to any zone.
DHCP server needs to be enabled manually.

Overall, I think it is easier to delete LAN interface, fix untagged vlan2 on port Lan2, create wan interface with dhcp client protocol and assign it to wan firewall zone. Change the IP of lan interface not to conflict with wan and remove gateway/dns.

Name your wan network wan (lower case). This name already exists in the default firewall configuration. The protocol is dhcp client and the physical device is eth0.2. As @trendy said, set the external port as untagged when interfacing to an ordinary device such as a cable modem that doesn't use VLAN tags.

Thanks guys, I got it working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.