TP-Link C2600 TFTP

hi,

I need to use tftp, I wonder if I can use tftpd32 like I use with the r7800?
my son loaded the factory image (openwrt) instead of sysupgrade from openwrt LuCi, the router is freezes..... all leds are open....

thanks

Please check the device page for details.

In general, Netgear and TP-Link work slightly differently for debricking. While both have robust push-button tftp procedures available, Netgear waits for you to actively push the recovery image with a tftp client - TP-Link tries to pull the named recovery image from a tftpd (server) running on your computer. I've never used tftpd32 myself (preferring tftpd-hpa as server and atftp as client on linux), but a first glance suggests that it can cover both uses and should support your use case.

1 Like

I used windows before so I know tftpd32 so now IM on linux debian and I try to use it via wine but I get errors..

I dont know tftp via linux

If you are running Linux right now, install tftpd-hpa, and drop your recovery image into the directory it serves and (re-)start the service - it doesn't make sense to run tftpd32 via wine on Linux.

On Debian/ Ubuntu the configuration (/etc/default/tftpd-hpa) would be:

# /etc/default/tftpd-hpa

TFTP_USERNAME="tftp"
TFTP_DIRECTORY="/srv/tftp"
TFTP_ADDRESS="0.0.0.0:69"
TFTP_OPTIONS="--secure -vvvv"

drop your ArcherC2600_1.0_tp_recovery.bin into /srv/tftp/, make sure that it's accessible (chmod 0644 /srv/tftp/ArcherC2600_1.0_tp_recovery.bin), configure the correct static IP address (192.168.0.66) on your ethernet interface, restart the tftpd (systemctl restart tftpd-hpa.service) and optionally watch journalctl -f for the tftp GET request to come in.

1 Like

I setup the pc static ip to 192.168.0.66 even if the router is 192.168.1.1?

The router will use 192.168.0.1 for the recovery, the bootloader doesn't know about your OpenWrt configuration and falls back to its hardcoded defaults.

I try to drop the bin file into /srv/tftp/ but nothing happens

Your normal user doesn't have permission to write there, use su - to become root for the copying or sudo cp /somewhere/on/your/disk/ArcherC2600_1.0_tp_recovery.bin /srv/tftp/

1 Like

last thing, once the router starts, what I need to do to start tftp, I know to restart systemctl restart tftpd-hpa.service but I guess the firmware won't load automaticaly with that command ?

not sure the c2600 can be in tftp mode, all lights stays open, not flashing...
also, IM not using a serial cable

You need to configure a static IP (192.168.0.66), your DHCP client messes that up again (and putting an unmanaged switch between router and computer can help).

If you start the router with its reset button pressed (long enough), it will enter the recovery mode and tries to pull the recovery image from your computer (you don't need to do anything on the computer, it just has to passively serve the necessary file).

I will try again but the static ip is configured.

What does the tftpd say ?

I'm using three C2600s, all flashed using tftp, w/o any issues.

In Windows though, not Linux.

are you using tftpd32 app with windows?

tftpd say.... you can see it just above, not?

yes, I used tftpd32.

Mar 04 09:11:08 e6530 kernel: [UFW BLOCK] IN=eno1 OUT= MAC=b8:ca:3a:d9:44:0a:00:03:7f:ba:db:02:08:00 SRC=192.168.0.1 DST=192.168.0.66 LEN=91 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=1 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=1685 DPT=69 LEN=71

looks like a FW block, and not a tftpd log.

ok, where is the tftp log?
thanks

the tftp log will be empty, if there's a FW blocking the access.

1 Like

ok, do you know how to do something about that?

well, you could disable it ?

I dont know how lol..

btw, it is possible that the router is broken for real, right?
on my r7800 I used tftp pretty often for that kind of problem and it works all the time but this time.....not sure