Tp-link AX23 wrong firmware version number after reverting

As we said.

Do NOT do that. It can be potentially illegal and CAN damage your radios

Damn. That's sad😔

@CrackedPotato @frollic I went through the entire discussion, So is there a way to restore stock firmware without using tftp finally ?
Can you please DM me for help with the same?

yes, Tp-link AX23 wrong firmware version number after reverting - #124 by frollic.

the partition table is baked into the firmware file; it's visible if you start grepping through the firmware file for strings. you can do nvrammanager --help to get a list of all the things it can do. It can both read and write to all partitions, though the one of interest for permitting software updates is the software version partition.

I decided to test the region change for science by redoing the 3.0.3 issue and then flashing the US firmware instead of the EU. But I still ended up with an EU version.

I did further digging and saw this on one of the posts on OpenWRT.
"Contrary to the later region codes introduced by TP-Link, this was done by changing the device ID, which makes those appear as a different device to the firmware/ bootloader."

So it doesn't matter if you flash a US or EU firmware of your router, you'll end up with same region unless you make a change to the device ID to trick the device to believe it's from a particular region.

@frollic something you think you can test? :smirk:

hey! I'm a newbie whos currently trying to research everything possible on what router to buy to finally try this thing out. Since this issue is solved now I just want someone to confirm I didn't misread anything here.

• You can revert to stock fully on US and EU and they are the only two regions the router can be purchased as in the entire world, including Asia

• Taking apart the router is not needed because ssh and tftp

• You can recover from a gigantic screw up by installing OpenWRT with TP-Link's recovery mode then redoing what frollic said to get to stock

• What frollic said applies to both US and EU firmware

Are these correct?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No, If you brick the router, you need to get serial access, that's the same for ALMOST all routers, some expensive/Chinese ones got dual bios features, not this one.

4. Yes

Would I be able to brick it doing the software update stuff or only if I mess up using dd and screw up the partition that contains the recovery mode?

Also if that's the case, could I just wait till there's a premade sysupgrade image available with this fix so I wouldn't have to do what frollic said to change the version? If so, how long would it take?

You can, if you install a lot of packages, run out of space, run a upgrade and it breaks it. But that shouldn't be the case for most users.

There is no "recovery" mode partition. The bootloader provides a recovery environment, if your squashfs image or the kernel is broken use the install procedures again.

If the bootloader breaks, you will need serial

Read this. https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/troubleshooting/generic.debrick

The dd command should be safe, tested on both EU and US, you shouldn't need it most likely, as it's unlikely you will go to stock after installing openwrt :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would need to open it up and start soldering at that point right?

How hard would it even be to break the bootloader?

That is true but some posts (actually this was you wasn't?) have been having some issues on connectivity so I just wanted to make sure I had a way back if I ever wanted to

Although from the too many weeks of lurking here, I also don't think I'm going back :slight_smile:

Guys, is there a way to manually download depedencies before flashing openwrt?

Issue i have is that im unable to run below commands:

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# opkg update
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# opkg install kmod-mtd-rw
root@OpenWrt:/tmp# insmod mtd-rw.ko i_want_a_brick=1
[ 526.669415] mtd-rw: mtd0: setting writeable flag
[ 526.674217] mtd-rw: mtd5: setting writeable flag
[ 526.678816] mtd-rw: mtd6: setting writeable flag
[ 526.683451] mtd-rw: mtd7: setting writeable flag
root@OpenWrt:/tmp#

as my router do not have working internet connection - the reason i went back to stock

my internet connection is working fine in stock firmware, but i struggle with setting up open wrt

EDIT:

you can manually download the mtd-rw package using below link
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/23.05.3/targets/ramips/mt7621/kmods/5.15.150-1-bee655e7f41679981b85a223f3aba35b/kmod-mtd-rw_5.15.150+git-20160214-2_mipsel_24kc.ipk

and install it using openwrt gui

And thank you guys for all the work to make it possible :slight_smile:

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/

Click customize installed packages, add what you need there.