Tp-link archer C6U v1 (RU)

I've just bought subj hoping it would be easy to install openwrt. Not so easy
First, stock UI complains on openwrt factory image and refuses to flash it
I connected UART and forced u-boot webserver
Upload succeeds but nothing indicates flashing was done. It isn't. Nothing changed after reboot
Then I tried uploading RU and EU stock firmwares with the same result. Nothing

After some experiments I succeeded to tftp boot openwrt ramdisk image and it works
but sysupgrade does not work from there. Stock u-boot complains CRC error

If someone has this device EU version I'd appreciate if you post full SPI dump here
(or u-boot + config + tplink mtd partitions)
I guess hardware is the same and my RU can easily become EU

Also I could not figure out memory mapped SPI address to cp.b to. It would simplify things a lot
For now i'm builing custom openwrt ramdisk with readonly-removed patched dts

for reference, stock mtd layout :

mtd0: 00040000 00010000 "uboot" 00000000
mtd1: 00200000 00010000 "uImage" 00040000
mtd2: 00db0000 00010000 "rootfs" 00240000
mtd3: 00010000 00010000 "ART" 00ff0000

openwrt mtd layout:

mtd0: 00040000 00010000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 00f60000 00010000 "firmware"
mtd2: 002448e6 00010000 "kernel"
mtd3: 00d1b71a 00010000 "rootfs"
mtd4: 00980000 00010000 "rootfs_data"
mtd5: 00010000 00010000 "config"
mtd6: 00040000 00010000 "tplink"
mtd7: 00010000 00010000 "radio"

Actually, despite of russian UI firmware was US and that's the reason why it failed to update
I checked serial output while upgrading in stock firmware (not failsafe u-boot web server) and found this :

upgrade firmware...
Reading Partition Table from NVRAM ... OK
Parsing Partition Table ... OK
file_len:15941879
fw_type_name : Cloud 
cloud CheckUpgradeFile : 303
md5 verify ok!
[Error]sysmgr_proinfo_buildStruct():  670 @ unknown id(device_name), skip it.
[Error]sysmgr_proinfo_buildStruct():  670 @ unknown id(country), skip it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
      vendorName : TP-LINK
       vendorUrl : www.tp-link.com
     productName : Archer C6U
 productLanguage : US
       productId : 00060003
      productVer : ff010000
       specialId : 52550000
            hwId : 777A3465FACD995BB4E1302DB813F637
           oemId : FD94DDBB03861EE1E01B2A03AF337CE1
--------------------------------------------------------------------
[Error]sysmgr_cfg_checkSupportList():  973 @ specialId 45550000 NOT Match.
Firmwave not supports, check failed.
[NM_Error](nm_checkUpdateContent) 01051: hardware version not support
[NM_Error](nm_buildUpgradeStruct) 01161: checkUpdateContent failed.
check firmware error!
[NM_Error](nvrammanager_checkUpgradeFile) 00784: check firmware file failed!

[NM_Error](main) 01160: firmware upgrade file check error 

firmware check fail
upgrade false

I changed specialId to 52550000 in tplink-safeloader.c, rebuilt openwrt and it all worked.
I will never need that hack again because now openwrt sysupgrade should work
Problem is solved

If someone needs US/RU compatible image I can share

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.