TP-Link Archer c2600 running poorly from 21.02 and onwards

Today i've upgraded to 21.02.2. Seems there has been a lot of development going on. With 30 changes in wireless / common alone, 21.02.2 seems to be a big deal. And even better: after upgrading i've encountered no drops on the 2.4ghz radio. As it was pointed out to me, after upgrading i should be on ath10k-ct again. I'll keep using ath10k-ct if it keeps being this stable. Fingers crossed.

I still switched to CT-smallbuffers in 21.02.2.

Uses way less memory.

So far, so good.

Well, it seems that 21.02.2 is a real gamechanger. When 2.4ghz broke between 19.07.8 and 21.02, things didn't look good for ath10k-ct. Now, after running 21.02.2 for a couple of weeks, i'm pretty optimistic again. I've had no problems on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I have no idea what changed / broke in 21.02 , but it seems that it is now fixed again and ath10k-ct runs pretty solid.

@anon89577378 As i'm running my c2600 as an AP, i have 80% of total memory available. 370mb of 466mb total. Would i gain anything from switching to ct-smallbuffers?

IMO, no.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

2 Likes

Possibly the kernel upgrade (kmod-ath10k-ct) from 5.4.154 to 5.4.179.

1 Like

@anon89577378 Thanks, i've searched the changelog but couldn't find it.

Let's hope ath10k-ct keeps being this stable in the upcoming releases.

Before doing an upgrade, I run opkg list-installed and save the results.

After the upgrade, I run it again.

I use a diff program (BeyondCompare is my personal preference) to see what's changed, or missing.

1 Like

Never rebooting after 400 days :sunglasses:

Well, this was fun as long as it lasted.... I'm running 21.02.3 for about a day now. My 2.4ghz internet radio worked flawlessly on 21.02.2, now with the .3 release it play's for about half an hour to an hour, and then completely loses wireless connection. I have to psysically reboot the device, after that it plays fine again for a certain amount of time, before it again loses the wireless connectivity. Going back to 21.02.2 for the time being.

Does anybody know if things have been altered from 21.02.2 to 21.02.3 that affect ipq8064 / ath10k-ct? 2.4ghz isnt as bad as it was on 21.02.1, but it isnt where it should be. Feels like we took a step back in reliability for the c2600 on 21.02.3

1 Like

I'm having what it looks like the contrary problem, running 21.02.3.

It looks to me like the 5 GHz WiFi is going down after 1-2 days, without anything shown in the logs, etc., but I can only restore it if I restart both WiFi networks (or reboot the router).

Anyone having the same problem or any hint about how to debug it?

I am also having issues with it recently (since 21.02 actually). Sometimes it just drops internet for some devices (can be wired or wireless) and actually turning on a device with a wired connection recovers the internet connection.

are you all still experiencing these problems with 22.03.0?

this seems to be the upstream commit history for the ct drivers: https://github.com/greearb/ath10k-ct/commits/master

1 Like

I'm currently running 22.03.0 on my c2600 devices. The previous issues seem to be gone and/or have been resolved. The issues i had with my wireless radio (logitech ue smart radio) where caused by a combination of its crappy wireless nic and recently introduced wifi6 equipment at my neighbours. They dont play nice together. Issue was solved with a wireless ethernet bridge.

So please keep this in mind if you suspect the c2600 failing, it can be that there are other things going on that disrupt your devices connection.

In the last couple of releases there seem to have been multiple updates issued to the -ct driver. This has resulted (for me) in a relatively stable working c2600. For me , the c2600 makes a great access point, and seems to be pretty future proof (if the software keeps being at this level). I see no reason to upgrade to wifi6.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

Experienced a lot of problems lately as well. If i look back for several months. Excellent wifi speed which all of the sudden collapsed. Tried everything, all drivers. What did the trick for me was to adjust fast roaming. Changed it to FT over DS and disable generate PMK locally. After that a stable connection. Not sure if it does the trick for anyone else but definitely worth a try.

I never used "fast roaming", i need to read into that. I'm currently running 21.03.1 (just over a day) and havent been aware of any issues, other then the ones that already existed and probably cant be resolved. I'm talking about mesh networking on ipq8064 and ath10k-ct with candela tech's own firmware. This is why @tmomas i was hoping to keep this topic alive, since it would be great ( but my hopes are deminished) that all features on the c2600 would be utilized. That includes mesh networking and nss cores activated by default.

I was searching and reading a little into this, and found a comment from a candelatech developer on rawmode for the ath10k-ct driver, wich supposedly is needed for mesh networking to work:

I'm unsure if at some point in time someone has developed ath10k-ct rawmode, but according to github, the issue is still open.

1 Like

Hi,

I know, the thread is old but the problem still exists, for me at least. Running an Archer C2600 with Openwrt 22.03.5.

Connected to the Qualcomm Atheros QCA9990 802.11bgn wireless. Mode N, channel 11, Width 40. Tried with ath10k-firmware-qca99x0-ct kmod-ath10k-ct and ath10k-firmware-qca99x0 kmod-ath10k.

The issue is it runs ridiculously slow. Using ipfer3 to test the speed (the router is 5 meters away from the laptop):

What the heck? How can this router be this slow? Do you have any recommendation on how to get that 2.4 GHz network faster?

1 Like

Dear dipswitch,

1. can I ask which hardware version you have of the archer c2600 ?. (As the hardware version of my c2600 is 1.0)

2. Does the 19.07.8 firmware maintain, more or less, the same throughput as stock firmware?.

Thanks.

Blockquotecan I ask which hardware version you have of the archer c2600 ?. (As the hardware version of my c2600 is 1.0)

Mine are all hw v1.1

Blockquote Does the 19.07.8 firmware maintain, more or less, the same throughput as stock firmware?

I actually have no idea.