TP-Link Archer C25 v1 as a repeater

I like to configure my Archer C25 v1 as range-extender/wifi-repeater.

It worked before, but after updating to OpenWrt 19.07.3 configuration seams to have changed and tutorials don´t match LUCIS current interface.

Before it was enough to create a client, connect my router via wifi, create a master (with differen SSID and frequency) - done. This does not work any-more. Why?

What works: establishing client connection to 2,4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks
What not works: creating a master for the 2,4 or 5 GHz - as soon as I configured the settings and press "save", the client-connection / 2,4 & 5 Ghz "modem" is disabled/inactive.

Now - there is this tutorial: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/relay_configuration

So tried to follow it, installed "relayd" (though it´s not clear if i have to do it or not?)
The tutorial is messy - and the configuration is counter-intuitive.

So - has anyone a hint or a (as easy as possible) tutorial matching current OpenWrt 19.7.3 and LUCI?

It is the second day, wasting over 16 hours for nothing.... and I am at a point just buying an commercial repeater.

I am about to give up :frowning: I am not sure if the open-source community has a heart for "normal everyday" users or if this just is something for nerds and power-users. Is it impossible to give LUCI an interface-option like an "easy-mode" and provide tutorials who work with current versions?

Any hints appreciate...

No one here to give a hint?

Use only one connection (5 GHz generally best) as the uplink. There isn't support of using both radios for more bandwidth of one link.

Chipsets other than Broadcom should be able to run AP and STA simultaneously on the same radio, except on DFS channels in the 5 GHz band.

Make sure country code is set on both radios.

Thnx a lot for replying! :slight_smile:

What are DFS-channels?

I have had this Archer-C25 v1-station up and running for several month with both 2,4 Ghz & 5 Ghz as client/uplink and master/downlink simultaneously - without any problems on OpenWRT 18.x.x.

Now after upgrading to OpenWRT 19 (from 18), something in the OpenWRT-code must have changed, since that is not possible any more. Some tutorials mention a plug-in/extension called "relayd" - but the exact steps in these tutorials (including that mentioned in my original code from openwrt.org) do not match the current system & luci. I am stuck at that point.... I am not sure if that´s a bug in the current version... I have tried it over and over again... at least 30-40 times with different settings, tutorials and so an - made total resets, and over again. As soon as I enable the 5 Ghz master, while the 5 Ghz client is connected to my main-router, the whole 5 GHz modem goes off - 5GHz master & clients turns off completely, and would not restart. Do I disable the 5 Ghz master, the 5 Ghz client goes online/reconnects again. That I can reproduce - regardless of other settings. That behaviour is nothing I can recall under openWRT 18.

The very first time I configured the new upgraded system it worked - both 5 GHz and 2,4 Ghz simultaneously... (and without relayd!) - but then after some messing around in the config - which I cant recall, the above described behaviour appeared ... though resetting the system totally and starting from the scratch over and over again.

Could i paste some logs? (where do I find logs in the system who would give me some hints about whats going on in the background and which commands do I need for that?)

Country-code is set.

DFS channels depend on your country's rules but are usually numbers 52 through 144. DFS means that the AP needs to check for radar signals and shut down and/or switch to a different channel if it could be interfering with a radar system. Since a client interface has to stay on the channel of its AP, that is not possible with combined AP + STA.

Relayd is not needed if you're running a routed client for basic Internet access and don't need LAN devices on the network on the other side of the wifi WAN link to be able to access your LAN devices.

What means AP + STA?

AP := Access Point Mode
STA := STAtion Mode

AP/STA means using both at the same time, given that a single wireless card can only operate on a single channel at a time, the STA interface decides which channel to use and the AP has to follow (and if the STA can't get a connection to its network, the AP interface won't come up at all, as it's totally dependent on the STA).