TL-WDR4300 TFTP recovery?

I try to test TFTP recovery on a TL-WDR4300 i got before flashing a snapshot.

The device downloads the image (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-factory.bin renamed to wdr4300v1_tp_recovery.bin) but does not flash it, it just reboots after downloading the firmware. I have no serial because i don't want to open the case because it's not my device.

What I'm missing here? Is factory image correct as noted on the openwrt page for wdr4300 or should it be sysupgrade? Any hints are appreciated.

Most likely wrong region codes (basically an extended hardware id), not accounted for by your firmware.

Thanks, do you have some more details? Does that mean, the openwrt image doesn't have such a region code and therefore i cannot do a recovery with an openwrt image?

But the stock firmware image should work then? I mean, tftp the stock frmware on the device and then flash openwrt factory image using the stock firmware?

OK, flashing stock firmware via tftp works, at least i have a workaround.

What i don't quite understand is why i have to use the openwrt factory image, the one with boot. the stock firmware has to be stripped by removing the boot section but the openwrt factory image which mimics the vendor image format has a boot section as well but must not be stripped? why not?

There is no bootloader section in the OpenWrt "factory" image.

1 Like

Ah, OK, I reread https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/flash.layout and got it now. Thank you.

1 Like