The best universal router for OpenWrt

I would like to start a topic where you could share your opinion on the best universal router for OpenWrt.

I was using:

• TP-LINK TL-WR740N v1
  • TP-LINK TL-WR842ND v1
  • TP-LINK TL-MR3220 v1
  • Netgear R6220
  • Netgear R6350
  • D-LINK DIR-869 EXO

The best on this list in my opinion is the Netgear r6220, of course it has its downsides.

There can not be "the best universal router", because each and every individual on this planet has his own requirements. In https://openwrt.org/faq/which_router_should_i_buy we ask for the user specific requirements, before posting to the forum.

To be helpfull for other users, it makes sense to diversify the topics about "best" routers according to different requirements, e.g. cheap devices or high performance devices, rather than creating a generalized one-device-fits-all topic.

Besides that, just stating XYZ is the best router, without stating the why, is not really helpfull for anybody searching for a new device.

2 Likes

…especially considering that the first three of that list fall under the 4/32 (8/32) category and aren't officially supported by OpenWrt anymore.

4 Likes

My criteria for a, "good router" is one that can handle a DHCP server, firewall, and QOS on speeds exceed 1gigabit out of the box.

Wifi and all of that other stuff is nice to have, but short of doing an x86 router build I don't think there are any prosumer routers out there that fit that bill. My ER-X sort of does it.