Tethering USB Smartphone R7800 Netgear

Hi,
I wanted to ask:

What the max speed over USB- thethering is, that I can achieve with the Netgear R7800?

Will the loading of the Netgear-USB-Hub be enought so that my phone battery does not get drained more than loade, of the thethering?

Tanks in advance

depends on the phone, but it won't be faster than the max speed of USB3.

depends on the phone, as well.

Can you refer me one that does charge enought, so it does not get empty on the usb port?

Phone?

Nope, trial and error, but I could imagine most will be happy with the 900mA the usb3 port is capable of delivering.

Is wifi thethering with openwrt and a smartphone possible?

Yep, that works too.

1 Like

When i messure my internet speed, I get around 200mb/s pn my phone. When I am givin my fire TV on 5GHz wifi i get around 60mbs on it, does the thethering hotspot on my s22 Ultra has limitations or whats the problem?

Best Regards

what kind of tether ?

Mobile Hotspot

Connecting to it using the N radio, I take it ?

Didnt understand, what is the N radio and what do you mena with "I Take it"?

I tested this with my s22U and fire tv 4k max, without the openwrt router.

if you take openwrt out of the equation, it's not really an openwrt question any more though, is it ?

but, the Fire tv 4k max is a AX device, if I remember correctly, does your phones hotspot support AX ?

From me perspective it is, because I wanted to test how much speed the hotspot offers
When the pohne can reach 200mbs and the hotspot of it, is given only 60-70mbs. This means for me if I wifi tether a 5g phone white a openwrt router it cant offer more than 60-70mbs.

My S22U offers AX but even if does not the fire tv 4k mac stick is not a purely AX device.

Wirelessly, there's no reason to assume the same would apply if you used a cable.

True, but it might give you a hint on where I'd perform at its best.

Wirelessly, there's no reason to assume the same would apply if you used a cable.

No but i want to tether the router over a wifi hotspot from a phone.

True, but it might give you a hint on where I'd perform at its best.

Didnt understand that, it should work fine with ac in example.

Then 60-70mbps it is, unless we would think the phone performs better using AC instead of AX.

So i cant get more speed out of it with wifi thering?

It peforms worse on 5GHz and 6GHz.

So, it would appear.

It might be a radio issue, but it could also be a routing performance issue.

The latter won't be solved by a cable though.
You could however try it, just to see if it performs better.

Tried s21 on s22u hotspot sitting next to each other, same speed, so the wifi tethering is no option for me.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.