My ISP (DIGI) uses PPPoE with a weekly connect time.
They don't like multiple dial-ins, and responds with Too many sessions. And when the router don't hang up the connection properly, one should wait a few minutes to timeout the Too many sessions response.
my theory is that your ISP have multiple PPP servers an the initial ppp discovery is received and answered by all servers, while may the previous session not yet fully teared down", then accounting system kicks in and disallow you to have multiple sessions because you just pay for one service.
thanks. i am just wondering if my problem here Possible regression in pppd is related or not. i am using the same ISP as you, so might be an ISP problem at the end. but it is basically impossible to get any proper response from them (other than everything is superb on their end but for an extra charge they can come to me and check locally if the problem exists) ...
I also have digi with an ax3600 and had problems with the pppoe stuff.
Sometimes when the router crashed or I rebooted disconnecting the router from the mains, I had to reboot the ont because that error blocked me from connecting the internet.
I also discovered that It seems like when digi gives me a new sesion, the problem resurfaces at my end too. Sometimes at random times (probably because my session expires) the router loses the wan interface with the same problem (not really sure, I'll have to get logs the next time). I normally don't keep the router up for a week, but I will have to check that in the future.
I also have a Xiaomi 4a Gigabit (MT7621) flashed with openwrt so this weekend if I have time I'll check if the problem persists.
I have the same problem with DIGI and ax3600 and one of the latest snapshots. Did you solved the problem?
This is the log for the problem:
Wed May 24 08:10:34 2023 daemon.info pppd: LCP terminated by peer (Peer not responding)
Wed May 24 08:10:34 2023 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 722.3 minutes.
Wed May 24 08:10:34 2023 daemon.info pppd: Sent 1848981962 bytes, received 724318089 bytes.
Wed May 24 08:10:34 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'pppoe-wan' link is down
Wed May 24 08:10:34 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' has lost the connection
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.notice pppd: Connection terminated.
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.info pppd: Connect time 722.3 minutes.
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.info pppd: Sent 1848981962 bytes, received 724318089 bytes.
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.notice pppd: Modem hangup
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.info pppd: Exit.
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is now down
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wan' is setting up now
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.info pppd: Plugin pppoe.so loaded.
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.info pppd: PPPoE plugin from pppd 2.4.9
Wed May 24 08:10:37 2023 daemon.notice pppd: pppd 2.4.9 started by root, uid 0
Wed May 24 08:10:47 2023 daemon.notice hostapd: phy1-ap0: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED [deleted mac]
Wed May 24 08:10:52 2023 daemon.warn pppd: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Wed May 24 08:10:52 2023 daemon.err pppd: Unable to complete PPPoE Discovery
Wed May 24 08:10:52 2023 daemon.info pppd: Exit.
Unfortunately no. @McGiverGim and I have been talking for a bit about the problems with digi.
One theory that I have is that digi is doing some sort of load balancing and changing the server that the router connects to and openwrt doesn't know how to reconnect and you lose the pppoe session.
I want to try to use pfsense as the router and see if the problem is with the pppoe implementation of openwrt or digi is doing something non-standad.
If it is useful, I have to say that I was using DIGI's own router ZTE H298Q for almost 2 years and no complaint about disconnections. I don't remember any of them in that period. The problems arrived when I swaped this router for the xiaomi ax3600 on openwrt.
Very interesting, I didn't saw this thread until now.
I'm on AX3600 too, and these are the two problems with Digi that I've noticed:
The first, as you have detected, is the amount of time needed to reconnect after a sysupgrade. I haven't noticed that it only happens on sysupgrade and not on reboots, very interesting. The router seems to take the IP from the ISP but the routing does not work at all and it needs usually some minutes to start working, and sometimes I need several reboots because it does not seem to start working.
The second one, having enabled IPv6, it works perfectly, but after some time (maybe two days, maybe 3 weeks...) some applications start failing and not having internet. It happens with wallapop, hbo max, etc. Only happens to applications that try to use IPv6. IPv4 continues working. The most strange is that others continue working. I can do a ping using IPv6 without problem, for example. In my latest tests seems that a service network reload (not restart) fixes the issue, without loosing connectivity, but I can't confirm until it fail again.
I will keep an eye on this thread, let's see if we can fix the problem.