Support for TP-Link BE900

Thanks. Looks like root account is disabled while admin is enabled. Need to find hash dictionary to decode the password. Hope we are lucky. Would you also help to reboot the device to double check if the hash of admin account is changed every time when router boots up?

1 Like

I will also put myself into this. I changed the root password, I know that everytime I did reboot it was replaced again, saw that with more files. Mine is now not reachable, but that was cause of last test I did, will fix tonight. I copied after setting password of root /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to /tmp/etc. Will go testing on this further on, maybe I've to copy more like /etc/group or something. Or maybe I've to do same approch as Asuswrt, just plugin a USB flash and see what I can do there.
But I think this one will be supported by OpenWRT soon :slight_smile:

if soon = 1+ year, then you're correct.

You never know, be positive

But ok, my Chinese doesn't go further then ordering food:

QSDK image 仓库-CSDN博客

Qsdk_build_image/qca-networking-2022-spf-12-2/IPQ9574/cs/premium_32bit/bin at main · Hanszhang2023/Qsdk_build_image · GitHub

I'm no programmer, but I see something in build
GitHub - kimocoder/QSDK-IPQ: Qualcomm QSDK for IPQ devices

1 Like

I'd rather be realistic.

Great, have fun with those builds, please don't come back reporting "openwrt bugs" based on that QSDK.

1 Like

What I said I'm no programmer :frowning:

Can you issue below commands and then reboot to check if you still need root password to login? If we are lucky, we don't need password again.

echo sed -i "s/root:.*/root::0:0:99999:7:::/g" /etc/shadow > /etc/rc.local
echo exit 0 >> /etc/rc.local

Nahhhh, what you see it offers not to re-type password

Will this help
root@Archer_BE800:/etc/config# cat dropbear

config dropbear 'dropbear'
option RootPasswordAuth 'on'
option Port '20001'
option DisableIpv6 'on'
option SysAccountLogin 'off'
option PasswordAuth 'on'

1 Like

The reason why I went to this TP-Link BE800, cause I tested on x86 Openwrt and my speeds with Ookla Speedtest were terrible slow. My setup was Openwrt only as a router without WiFi with 2.5G ethernet adapters, so I still used my Asus RT-AX86U as a WiFi accesspoint, my speed went to half the speed of my speed when having the Asus as Router with WiFi access.
Also I liked the BE800, cause I can use it directly with a SFP module for the provider I will get with fiber.
I tried about everything with OpenWRT x86, but never got the speed.

getting OT in this thread
depends on your internet speed I guess, no x86 CPU made during the last decade should have issues routing at 1gbit.

if those where from Realtek, there was a bug effectively capping them at < 100mbit.

the Dell Edge 620, $70 used, on eBay, comes with two SFP+ cages...

1 Like

the ipq9574 is already supported by upstream (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/arch/arm64/boot/dts/qcom?h=v6.6.30) ; QCA also has 6.6 support already. So, I don't see a huge effort although must say on the region of 12months based on the experience with the ipq807x ... I also understand (tbc) that the the 2.5G and 10G on some of the TP-link devices are based on Realtek which may cause some problems.

At the moment really are the prices stopping any dev investment of their $ and time ... the BE550 is now being sold on amazon for about $300 ...

That is very much on the optimistic side, mainline support for ipq905x/ ipq907x is less than basic, no network support, no NAND, no nothing (and maaaany other missing rather essential pieces).

QSDK isn't that relevant either.

1 Like

Yep, Realtek and I did test I think month ago, but I'm also checking on other desktop.
I've now a Lenovo Tiny desktop, so could only test with USB 3.2 Gen1 2.5G Ethernet.

1 Like

Got done talking with support... I said they should help the open source community get firmware with this router cause their firmware lacks a lot of functionality. They said we've already released GPL code for it here....

It's usually pretty useless.

Disclaimer: There may be some TLDR content but maybe I can learn something or someone else can learn something from it or the manufacturer will see this and better understand the need for better firmware to support the average small home or small business. There may also be errors in spelling, punctuation, or run-on sentences. You have been warned!

Oh so all the IPK's for the IPQ are useless well good to know I guess.... Yeah I guess I've never dove into actually building cause how it is done is a bit of a mystery to me it almost seems like configuring an OS getting all the hardware working with the OS then releasing it as an image for lack of a better way to put it. The drivers that don't work or that are unavailable for specific hardware need development more or less. Maybe also changing boot parameters to give better recovery options and more control over what goes on and how things work.

Personally, I dislike the fact that companies are unwilling to add things to their wifi access points like wireless filters in particular. If you have a wireless camera system with several camera's you'll understand why every router should come with a wireless filter. If you don't have it and you can't block cameras on your edge wifi router the backhaul AP's fight over the connection and cause connectivity issues that can't be resolved where the SSID overlaps.

If you add it to the router block list for MAC ID's it blocks the device completely rendering it useless so it can not connect to the network at all.

Something with WRT or Tomato software is that they have this kinda figured out that little bit of fine tuning that is allowed is insanely important these days for security systems and smart home devices. And yes I can run PFSENSE or OPNSENSE the only problem I find with this and network provision in general is that it isn't logical to provide enough battery backup to keep essentially computers running for hours on in but it is logical to keep routers up and running for several hours with battery backup to ensure you still have access to communication channels during a power outage.

I know because I've done so and tried things so the practical nature of these purpose-built network devices has a lot to do with their power efficiency. As much as I'd love to just build my own PFSENSE or OPNSENSE router running WRT or Tomato gives you the features you need and allows the network to stay up and running for several hours during a power outage.

On average we have at least 2 power outages a year that last several hours I'd say and several smaller ones it is nice to have that extra communications channel during these times.

However, with higher-powered devices the price of energy storage makes it impractical to keep things running. My battery generator can also save the food in my fridge for a few hours as well allowing me time to go pick up some ICE from the store in the event that things would be prolonged beyond that few hours in the summer and in the winter I put things outside in a bin to keep them cold and use the backup battery generator to run the furnace every so often instead.

The network has battery backup at each switch, AP, and so forth and all critical security cameras are also on battery backup so in the event of a storm I have proof for the insurance company that what I say happened does have documentation.

To run 10GB network with OPNSense or PFSense I'm not sure that anything else could do it at 22w of power other than this router at the edge of a network unless I get into expensive cabling and rewire my home with SFP+ it just isn't practical. A thousand feet of good ethernet cable 300 bux 1000 feet of fiber is like several thousand dollars. Fiber for providers makes sense fiber for homes or small businesses doesn't.

CAT8 has a bandwidth of up to 40GB it might be double the price for CAT8 vs CAT6/7 but even still it's a quarter of the price. So unless you have a high rise where you have runs over 300ft to the next network device Fiber in a structure isn't practical. Thus the need for this router and the need for it to work correctly.

Well selected x86_64 hardware (e.g. alderlake-n/ n100) may give you idle power draws around 4.5-6 watts, that is less than what you're seeing from modern mid- to high-end plastic routers (15-25 watts is not uncommon there).

Thanks for sharing it is very close indeed. By the time things are added and I'd use the N100M to make this 10GB equipped and functional from my research it will:
Use slightly more power
Have a larger foot print
Require 12V to 120V inversion very costly on losses.

Unless maybe their is a purpose built machine with a 12v adapter and 2 10GbE ports I can't see a benefit of that vs this this has the addition of wifi 7 and eliminates one AP out of the equation if I can get it to work properly so there is a double savings for me.

With that said its more than I was aware of and very valuable info! I might actually do it anyways. I've read quite on these forms but have been largely silent I'd like to thank you for your contributions and let you know they are valuable you seem to turn up in a lot of discussions in areas that are curious to me! Thank you for taking your time out of your day to respond. At current I'm on the fence NAT error in my brain on the path to take but I'm leaning towards sticking with the BE800 for its superior hardware and efficiency and possibly disabling wifi temporary and using another AP that is very low powered seeing as the remainder of my UPS units are old Telcom units upgraded with a LIPO 12v battery but they work well for many hours keep AP's and routers going and cheap as well. Everything I keep running uses 12 or 5v for that reason.

To whom it may concern - another new beta for BE800

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/beta/2024/202407/20240724/BE800v1_1.1.6_240711_beta.zip

I wonder if this thread should be called "Support for TP-Link BE800" instead :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like