Support for TP-Link AX1800

I have opted for getting a router that is not Broadcom and thus supporting companies that use hardware which vendors provide better open source drivers (I am guessing due to OpenWrt recommending Qualcomm chipsets for the various architectures). The router I chose was the Dynalink DL-WRX36 and it is running a Qualcomm IPQ8072A SoC but if anything is needed from me in regards to TP-Link AX1800 support, I will be more than happy to provide it.

1 Like

I think there is some confusion about the AX1800's SoC. There is a router sold under the name 'Archer AX1800' https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/archer-ax1800/ which is different from the AX21. I have the AX1800 and I can confirm that it is not Broadcom:

DISTRIB_ID="OpenWrt"
DISTRIB_RELEASE="Attitude Adjustment"
DISTRIB_REVISION="unknown"
DISTRIB_CODENAME="attitude_adjustment"
DISTRIB_TARGET="model_mtk_mt762x/generic"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09-rc1"

It is possible they have 2 different chips sold under the same model, no? I know that TP-Link has done that before with things like WiFi adapters for instance (if I recall correctly). But it is possible as it is unclear, when I had the AX1800, it was also called the AX21, like the UART would say one thing, the Web UI would say another, etc.

I have a TPLink AX1800. At the bottom of the login page it shows "Hardware Version: Archer AX21 v1.20". How can I tell whether this device could run OpenWRT? I noticed that Archer AX23 is listed as supporting OpenWRT (https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer_ax23_v1), and it appears to be a very similar model to my AX21.

Read the whole thread ?

Yeah, I hear you. But I did read the whole thread and couldn't discern a conclusive answer. Could you quote the post in this thread that answers it? There is a message from dedl0ck that says some ax1800 are broadcom and some are not, but ... can you spell it out for me?

You need to figure out which device you've got.
In worst case, by opening it up.

The bottom sticker will help here, too.

But if AX21 <> AX1800, then it could be supported in the future.