Support for TP-link Archer C2300

Hello. I just want to know is there will be any openwrt firmware available for TP-Link Archer C2300 in future?

Specs:
CPU: 2 cores Broadcom BCM4906 ARM Cortex-A53 (ARMv8-A 64-bit) 1.8 GHz
FLA: 128 MiB (ESMT F59L1G81MA-25TG2Y)
RAM: 512 MiB DDR3L-1600 (11-11-11) (Samsung K4B4G1646E-BYK0)
USB ports: 1 - USB 3.0, 1 - USB 2.0
WI1 chip1: Broadcom BCM4365E ac/n/a 3x3:3
WI2 chip1: Broadcom BCM4360 b/g/n 3x3:3
WI rate: 1625Mbps at 5GHz, 600Mbps at 2.4GHz
ETH chip1: Broadcom BCM4906
LAN: 4 - 10/100/1000
WAN: 1 - 10/100/1000
This is one of the cheapest routers available on the market (130$...150$) with such good specifications ...
Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi,

I'm not an expert/developer, but, I think Broadcom devices are difficult to port to OpenWRT.
Broadcom drivers are not open (such as Qualcomm) and it makes more hard to port.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

PD: I have an Archer C5 v2 (Broadcom chipset) in the same way as you (it's just half supported).

this is a great router. Here's the specifications: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_Archer_C2300_v1.x

This was requested over at DD-WRT too.
TP-Link Archer C2300 seems to have the same chips (CPU, radio and Eth) as the Netgear R8000P: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R8000P

Does brcmfmac support BCM4365E?

There are couple versions of 4365 supported, but you need to know exact PCI ID to confirm if its supported

FCC ID: TE7C2300 IC 8853A-C2300

I have two questions:

1. How can I determine PCI ID?
  2. Is it possible at current moment to release openwrt firmware for this model without Wi-Fi support?

Simply, install pciutils and use lspci.
Sure, but I doubt it will get merged

Hello everyone,

I just registered to share my findings about this router. I figured out how to decode binary Backup file, how to connect UART serial port, have full root ssh access over network, install vpn client....

Is there anyone still owning this router? Or did you already sell it and bought Asus AC-86u ? I can't sell mine - it's a xmas gift from my wife :slight_smile: Therefore I decided to play with it and progress quite well.

At the time being I'm trying to enable LTE usb modem (Huawei in HiLink mode, cdc_ether module driver, usb modeswitch etc). When playing manually I can see next eth7 device, but when starting it up (ifconfig eth7 up) the router reboots...

If interested, don't hesistate to visit https://github.com/acc-/tplink-archer-c2300 and read the Wiki section
Hope you like it and enjoy this nice router :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Do you know,how config C2300 for Internet on VLAN and IPTV without VLAN?

The dump of boot logs from Archer AC2300 can be found at https://github.com/acc-/tplink-archer-c2300/wiki/Boot-logs (credits to @acc).

Is there anyway to find this PCI ID from these logs? Below is the initial part of these logs...

Base: 5.2_02HNDrc7
CFE version 1.0.38-161.122 for BCM94908 (64bit,SP,LE)
Build Date: Wed Sep 20 08:36:53 CST 2017 (rock@rock-computer)
Copyright (C) 2000-2015 Broadcom Corporation.

Boot Strap Register:  0x6fc42
Chip ID: BCM4906_A0, Broadcom B53 Quad Core: 1800MHz
Total Memory: 536870912 bytes (512MB)
NAND ECC BCH-4, page size 0x800 bytes, spare size used 64 bytes
NAND flash device: MXIC MX30LF1G08AA, id 0xc2f1 block 128KB size 131072KB
pmc_init:PMC using DQM mode
pmc_init:7 0 fe540465 351034b
Board IP address                  : 192.168.1.1:ffffff00  
Host IP address                   : 192.168.1.100  
Gateway IP address                :   
Run from flash/host/tftp (f/h/c)  : f  
Default host run file name        : vmlinux  
Default host flash file name      : bcm963xx_fs_kernel  
Boot delay (0-9 seconds)          : 1  
Default host ramdisk file name    :   
Default ramdisk store address     :   
Default DTB file name             :   
Board Id                          : 94908REF  
Number of MAC Addresses (1-64)    : 11  
Base MAC Address                  : 02:10:18:01:00:01  
PSI Size (1-128) KBytes           : 48  
Enable Backup PSI [0|1]           : 0  
System Log Size (0-256) KBytes    : 0  
Auxillary File System Size Percent: 0  
flow memory allocation (MB)       : 14  
buffer memory allocation (MB)     : 32  
DHD 0 memory allocation (MB)      : 0  
DHD 1 memory allocation (MB)      : 0  
DHD 2 memory allocation (MB)      : 0  
WLan Feature                      : 0x00  
Partition 1 Size (MB)             : 0M  
Partition 2 Size (MB)             : 8M  
Partition 3 Size (MB)             : 0M  
Partition 4 Size (MB) (Data)      : 4M

Well not, there are only local PCI adresses there.
lspci is needed

hi acc, does this lend some way to getting openwrt running on this router?
Amazing work by the way!

Hi Joao,

there is OpenWRT already, but some old version. As far as I know it's not possible yet to upload full custom firmware, so you can't have newer OpenWRT.

There is GPL-code for TP-link Archer C2300 V1 and for TP-link Archer C2300 V2. Can it help to getting openwrt running on this router?
I have TP-link Archer C2300 V2 and I'll be very happy if OpenWrt firmware will be available for this router in future.

1 Like

Also very interested to hear of any news regarding support of this router.

Aac, is there a way to re-enable the port mirroring option, or a way to enable it through the CLI? There used to be a toggle for it on the diagnostics page on the original firmware, but got removed. If you press the help button on that screen it still describes how to use it.

Also, have to say thanks for your efforts to figure out this router, very impressive work, hopefully it will help lead to being able to load full custom firmware someday.

Hi all

Has anyone managed to get openwrt installed on this router?

I can't find anything online, but it would be great to have this router supported.

Thanks

I am also looking for this. TP-Link stopped releasing firmware updates for this router, which it is a shame, since this router has a pretty decent hardware.

@acc did some good progress on investigating this router, following his instructions I was able to enable SSH access (despite of not being root). The tools he created to manually edit the configurations via backup-restore allows to change some configurations.

The interesting thing is that this router already runs a customized version of OpenWRT by TP-Link. So, it is my understanding that TP-Link shoud provide the source code of the factory firmware since it is usinn open source code...

Output from the stock firmware:

admin@AC2300:/root$ uci show | grep -i openwrt
luci.themes.OpenWrt=/luci-static/openwrt.org
uhttpd.px5g.commonname=OpenWrt
admin@AC2300:/root$

Under GPL TP link is also providing source code for the router here.

So maybe there is a chance

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/gpl-code/