Here are the steps for anyone to compile openwrt for tp-link 840 version 6,6.1,6.2
Get needed files from here:
- clone latest openwrt
- cd scripts/ and make ./feeds update
- install luci if you need to
- copy dts files to target/linux/ramips/dts
- copy mt76x8.mk to target/linux/ramips/image/mt76x8.mk
- copy 02_network to ./target/linux/ramips/mt76x8/base-files/etc/board.d/02_network
- leds for tp-link version 6.2 you can see in file 6.2-leds. You can do your etc/config/system with 6.2-leds
- make menuconfig and choose your arch:
Target System (MediaTek Ralink MIPS)
Subtarget (MT76x8 based boards)
Target Profile (TP-Link TL-WR840N v6.2)
- Note that space is not enough for luci if you can not remove kernel and busybox options you do not need like tar/gzip...
You can remove IPV6 for quick free space.
- make V=99 (this to compile)
- ready images will be here: bin/targets/ramips/mt76x8/
You can flash from original software. Note that you will have also tftp images.
You can flash with them too using 192.168.0.66 address.
- I hope someone finally put this into openwrt tree
If you remove unneeded stuff there is a plenty of space !!! Personally i have web luci with upnp + ipv6 and netfilter extra modules and still have 200K free !
Note that you need latest openwrt because there are changes in dts files which i changed here already.
Note: https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/tp-link_tl-wr840n_v5 needs updating ! Also https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning is not entirely true. Because there are lots of unneeded packages you do not need like tar/gz for example etc....
My image openwrt-ramips-mt76x8-tplink_tl-wr840n-v6.2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin is 3604754 bytes big. This is mtd partitions:
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 2.3M 2.3M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 14.1M 88.0K 14.0M 1% /tmp
tmpfs 14.1M 52.0K 14.0M 0% /tmp/root
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock4 448.0K 228.0K 220.0K 51% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 448.0K 228.0K 220.0K 51% /
This router has luci+ipv6+natfilter_extra_modules and still 220K free !
I can even install tcpdump