Support for Netgear R6220

Has the firmware for this ever been updated from just a snapshot?
As the snapshot is using the 4.14.36 snapshot which I believe is quite out of date and some packages won't install.
Seems like there are two links on the techdata page one is a snapshot and one is a release. Does this mean I can flash the upgrade release and it is more recent?

I'm not sure what you mean...the Wiki page is up-to-date; and there are 18.06.0 firmware for your device listed here:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.0/targets/ramips/mt7621

18.06.0 is the current release as of this post.

Ah, I've been checking the page for quite some time now and it seemed as thought this device was not going to be supported and very recently it had been and I had not noticed.
Think it needs some documentation and the page updated

1 Like

Please note that there are different version of the R6220. You won't be able to identify that from the outside. But after booting OpenWrt you will see error messages for incompatible versions. I posted in an old thread. But due to the ordering of threads in this forum nobody reads old threads anymore.

You can find more details over here:

I have three R6220 - two of them work fine and one cannot configure 2.4G WIFI correctly as the MAC address cannot be found by OpenWrt. Somebody created images for three different versions of R6220 but there is no description of what is contained in those files.

The main image which is released in 18.06.1 (as of today) only supports one of the three known versions. Thus as long as nobody investigates more on this topic it is just trial and error.

Going back to stock firmware is easy and described on the OpenWrt device page (using unbricking tool nmrpflash):

If any image developer reads this thread and has some hints on how to integrate the other two versions into the OpenWrt release cycle you are highly welcome.

As mentioned before there are different flash layouts of the R6220 which result in unusable WIFI network (in my case 2.4G) as the MAC address cannot be found in the factory mtd.

These are the different flash layouts for the factory partition that have been identified by @ptpt52:

R6220 (as used by the OpenWrt 18.06.1 release version):

factory: partition@2e00000 {
                label = "factory";
                reg = <0x2e00000 0x100000>;
                read-only;
        };

R6220A (newer models use this flash layout):

factory: partition@2de0000 {
                label = "factory";
                reg = <0x2de0000 0x100000>;
                read-only;
        };

R6220B (another flash layout that is in use):

factory: partition@2da0000 {
                label = "factory";
                reg = <0x2da0000 0x100000>;
                read-only;
        };

The stock firmware somehow is able to identify the right flash layout without using three different images. As newer versions of the R6220 are only supported by the R6220A and R6220B layouts, the new layouts should be included into the release versions of OpenWrt as additional images. Otherwise regular users won't be able to use their R6220 with OpenWrt. Most people are not able to compile their own image based on this information.

@ptpt52 documented the required changes already over here:

I compiled 18.06.1 using these changes and was able to create a working image for my R6220A.

I would like to request integrating these two additional images into the official OpenWrt release. It would be appreciated if somebody could please advise on how this can be done.

Many thanks to @ptpt52 for his great work on the R6220, best regards
Rene

I created a pull request to add the new flash layouts. You can find it here:

It is based on the changes published by @ptpt52 and based on the current 18.06.1 code.

Let's see if it will be accepted and we will have it in the next release for everyone. This will make the R6220 a cheap and powerfull OpenWrt router - easy to flash and also easy to go back to stock firmware.

Looking foward to your comments.

1 Like

Hello to all, my name is Loris and I'm from Italy. I'm using Openwrt/LEDE since vers.14 (on an old tplink wdr1043) but 2 months ago it was unfaithfully dead :frowning:

Now I bought an R6220 used, I installed OpenWrt 18.06.2 and everything is fine, except the USB port, when I connect an 1tb HDD 2.5" by an usb-converter, the disk begin to spin correctly but there is NO way to be recognized by Openwrt... here is my logs:

Linux version 4.14.95 (buildbot@builds-03.infra.lede-project.org) (gcc version 7.3.0 (OpenWrt GCC 7.3.0 r7627-753531d)) #0 SMP Mon Jan 28 08:54:32 2019
SoC Type: MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3
bootconsole [early0] enabled
CPU0 revision is: 0001992f (MIPS 1004Kc)
MIPS: machine is Netgear R6220
/
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
usbcore: registered new device driver usb
xhci-mtk 1e1c0000.xhci: xHCI Host Controller
xhci-mtk 1e1c0000.xhci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
xhci-mtk 1e1c0000.xhci: hcc params 0x01401198 hci version 0x96 quirks 0x0000000000210010
xhci-mtk 1e1c0000.xhci: irq 15, io mem 0x1e1c0000
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
xhci-mtk 1e1c0000.xhci: xHCI Host Controller
xhci-mtk 1e1c0000.xhci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
xhci-mtk 1e1c0000.xhci: Host supports USB 3.0  SuperSpeed

root@OpenWrt:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-mtk/1p, 5000M
/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-mtk/2p, 480M
    |__ Port 2: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=, 480M

Thanks to anyone who can help me, bye.
loris

Packages kmod-usb-storage and kmod-fs-xxxx (xxxx matching the filesystem on the drive) need to be installed. If you want to mount the drive automatically use package block-mount.
What do you see in the log after you plug the drive / adapter in?
Then check for a /dev/sda1 in /dev. If you have that you should be able to mount the filesystem manually: mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

yes, all two packages are already installed, the same also for block-mount

usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci-mtk
random: crng init done

the problem is THIS point, there is NO sd* in /dev

That means that usb-storage didn't trigger, or identify the device as a storage device. Try another storage device, such as a flash drive.

Trying a flash usb drive is recognized... Now, perhaps the usb-to-sata cable is the problem? I use it for over 2 years on the old Tplink... thank you!

opkg install kmod-usb-storage-uas

IT WORKED, thank you ALL!!!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.