Support for DIR-878

wait I managed to download it manually and I have the packages file how to continue now

See https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/luci/luci.essentials#offline_installation

2 Likes

I just downloaded & install the current snapshot
Luci installed ok it all just worked
maybe your snapshot is a few days old or buggy
get the current one & try again

I have just compiled the current master with luci
but you won't be able to add package's to this tho

1 Like

I will try it but what is this file that ends with kernel.bin

I couldnt join the routher to try your snapshot with both 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 I tried a lot, I put static IP with both IPs and it keep say unidentified network123 1234 12345

thanx but this process is so complicated for my little brain and there is no step by step guide for noobs like me

the initramfs-kernel.bin is a version you would use is your have serial access
you can load directly into ram and backup the flash partitions
like the original firmware before you write anything to flash

1 Like

you already did what is needed when you put the original snapshot image in

1 Like

Tenda has at least a dozen AC1200 models. Please state the model of the Tenda. e.g. Tenda AC10
If the option is available, is the Tenda in "bridge" mode - configured as "modem" function only?

OpenWrt installation instructions are based on the DIR-878 connected directly to a modem.
I installed/tested Development Snapshot build dated Sun Dec 20 11:49:50 2020 and everything went well.

Note, when using "snapshots", there is a time limit to install packages.

1 Like

thanx for reply the model is V1200
my connection type is PPPoE, there is an option for bridge but when it is on you cant type your user name and passowrd the ISP gave you then there wont be internet connection

my problem now is that I can only login to router by putty and I cant log to recovery mode to try another snapshot I get unidentified netword problem

note: I have internet connection with this 878 right now and I can browse and download anything so I dont think the router is broken

it's harder then using the recovery interface but you can update firmware via ssh

you may also have problems with updating the router if you main routers subnet is the same as openwrt's default 192.168.1.x

1 Like

Then download the current Development Snapshot build: dlink_dir-878-a1-squashfs-factory.bin

Verify that the file is not corrupt by checking the sha256sum: b86be4b71add2eacb5a0d2b651507b86bf053203512480d8f3a20ecd3d4b48b3

Disconnect all network cable(s) except the network cable connecting the DIR-878 to your computer.

Following instructions at the link/tutorial already posted on installing OpenWrt into the DIR-878 using the D-Link Recovery mode.

WARNING:
According to the tenda manual, your tenda v1200 has the same default address used by OpenWrt, 192.168.1.1

1 Like

I think im gonna just wait for the official release, because I spent so much time trying to figure this out, and I believe if there is step by step guide in youtube video it would be much easier for people like me .

Hi guys, did anyone check about the issues with ping instability like I mentioned in previous post? (Support for DIR-878)

No.
Tested with the current development Snapshot build r15474-b1150de9e4 on a DIR-878 Rev.1 via NordVPN since my ISP is pathetic.

For future reference,
Suggest you post a topic of your own, since some readers will not bother wading through another topic to find an unrelated topic question.

1 Like

Good afternoon
I have the Router Dir-878
During Christmas period I tried to install the ROM provided by Lucky1 (with LUCI already installed) and everything was working well. I am using it only as WIFI router connected by cable to Internet supplier router/modem..
I tried later to update the firmware with the latest Openwrt Snapshot firmware.
Internet was still working (I have the connection with my WIFI devices) but LUCI was gone.
I tried to install LUCI using the command opkg without any luck. I had exactly the same error posted few message above on Dec 20. I tried to download again the Lucky's rom but it was not available.
So I am now with latest original rom Motorola MR-2600 (Yes, it is compatible with Dir-878 and to install it you have to pass through the Dir 878 support rom which come with Rev10)
It is possible to have back the LUCI included rom until our router will enter (if and when?) in the ones officially supported?
Thanks

DIR-878 has snapshot support. Snapshots come without LuCI.

I have had a clean out didn't think anyone still used them
I'll link my main folder the current one is under DIR-878
http://luckys.onmypc.net/openwrt/
like you you I want luci in it
I will most likely be removing these after they are in release

1 Like

Lucky1, thanks for your prompt answer, I download the firmware indicated in your link. Is Luci included there?

Official OpenWrt firmware images and installation instructions for DIR-878