Support for DIR-878

D-Link DIR-878
http://us.dlink.com/products/connect/ac1900-mu-mimo-wi-fi-router/

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-878_rev_A1

CPU1: MediaTek MT7621AT (880 MHz, 2 cores)
FLA1: 16 MiB (Macronix MX25L12805D)
**RAM1: 128 MiB (**Nanya NT5CC64M16GP-DI)
Expansion IFs: none specified

WI1 chip1: MediaTek MT7615N
WI1 802dot11 protocols: an+ac
WI1 MIMO config: 4x4:4
WI1 antenna connector: U.FL
WI2 chip1: MediaTek MT7615N
WI2 802dot11 protocols: bgn
WI2 MIMO config: 4x4:4
WI2 antenna connector: U.FL

ETH chip1: MediaTek MT7621AT
Switch: MediaTek MT7621AT
LAN speed: 10/100/1000
LAN ports: 4
WAN speed: 10/100/1000
WAN ports: 1

It got DD WRT support already
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/07-28-2018-r36410/dlink-dir878-a1/dlink-dir878-a1-webflash.bin

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/07-28-2018-r36410/dlink-dir878-a1/factory-to-ddwrt.bin

I often see it sub 90euro - that is bang for your buck !
Not the worlds fastest cup, but should do most people fine.
Hell of an AP with for streams for that kind of money!

Now we just need openwrt support.

I'm willing to try to raise money and ship one to a developer (in EU).

1 Like

That device looks quite interesting... Hopefully it will get OpenWRT support!

Device support shouldn't be too difficult, but there currently is no support at all for MT7615N wlan.

1 Like

Yeah, that's what I also found out.
It works on dd-wrt (and sorry asking what might be an dumb question), what will it take for openwrt support?

Do you think that there is adeveloper that will be willing to work on this?
I see several other 4x4 streams router using the same chip set and they are almost half price off R7800 :slight_smile:

Mt76 supporting the MT7615 hardware, or some other way. DD-Wrt probably relies on an SDK with an older kernel (do check your kernel version on DD-Wrt).

If I where to donate one to whom should that be?

Just wanted to bring attention to @nossiac's work on the MT series by (?) patching configurations... Supposedly the MT7615 works. It appears to be integrated into OpenWRT after installation.

Haven't been brave enough to try it myself since I currently don't have a backup router, but there are pre-built (kernel 4.14.66)

Anyone else given it a shot?

DD-Wrt DIR-878 info:

• DD-WRT v3.0-r36698 (08/22/18)
  • Kernel Version Linux 3.10.108-d5

@blogic has worked on mt7621 and more recently @blocktrron added support for another mt7621 router (Asus RT-AC57U). You could check with them if they're willing to port if you donate a device.

Sorry for the late follow-up. Mt76 has gained official support for mt7615 now though (early stages I think) but that makes these devices more interesting again.

1 Like

Good to know thx!

Hi guys!
Are there any news about this router? I've bought one, and I wish use it with OpenWRT firmware!

Supporting it might not be too difficult (now that initial mt7615e support exists), but it still needs someone experienced with the device on their desk to actually port it (which might happen 'tomorrow' or 'never').

I have one of these routers. In addition, I am a computer engineer. If someone guides me, I can try to help developers ...

Look through the addition of other mt7621 based devices to OpenWrt's git history - and then check what the OEM firmware does (that's at least 75% of the work) and go on from there. Given that SOC/ driver support is already there, the biggest part will be writing the device tree file.

There are no 3-step guides, in the embedded space every device differs, every vendor comes up with different ways to 'customize' their firmware structure, their upgrade procedures, etc.

I had a play to try & do something I made a DTS file off others
but the format of the firmware was different to what i could get it to make
seem to be a 0x80 byte header where i others are only 0x40
ether way i fudged a checksum & it ok the firmware & then erased the uboot partition
so I have a brick ATM waiting for a usb SPI flash programmer to be shipped
it's supported by dd-wrt so the info is out there but i don't know the environment & C
so i'm only tinkering trying to lean

I'm trying to get this router "DIR-878" to work atm
1st time I have done this so I'm sure there are i's to dot & t's to cross

please make sure you have backup your routers ART/Factory Settings
and can recover from a bricked router tho you know soldering skill's & an SPI Flash programmer etc

but if anyone want to test/play let me know ?

so far seems to work ok
only thing I can't get to work is the WiFi LED's
there connected to the wifi unit directly

2 Likes

Thank you for spending time on this router! How's the mt76 compared to stock? I'm really curious in trying it out to see if it solves my current crashes on ddwrt.

Hi Amoz
the MT7615 driver is still being worked on
I'm is Australia the only 160Mhz channel we can use is 50 "36-64"
for channels 50-64 need DFS
DFS seems more sensitive or lots more then the QCA9880's I have
so I think that is what is stopping it working here for long
some times it starts but stops. I think when DFS it tripped & stop with no where to change to
I don't have any 160Mhz clients so I have not look at this much
80Mhz channels seen to move to none DFS channels in basic testing

my main laptop has an Intel 7260 witch has problems with the current driver
data rates are faster with 20Mhz then 40Mhz or 80Mhz
where as my other laptop with a Intel 7265 works fine
the 7260 work fine with the QCA9880's tho
so i think the MT7615 driver still need polishing

the last dd-wrt I tried the WiFi didn't work at all
the version I used for a while was r39296 (03/27/19) as a "Dumb AP"
I'm guessing this was a non open source driver the WiFi LED's worked with this one
after that version the driver changed and never work well if at all
as for stock it had lots of problems and was unusable for me
there may be newer better version now tho

1 Like

Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for spend your time to this router. It has been very exciting for me to know that I can already use OpenWRT on it.

I'm looking for the precompiled image that supports this router. Shouldn't it be at https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/ramips/mt7621/?
I could not find it there. Can you help me? Thank you!