Strange issues when using Asus router in AP mode

Hi!

I recently decided to install Openwrt on my raspberry Pi to replace my Asus wireless router.
I have connected my old router in AP mode to the Raspberry pi, connecting all my clients through the old router, both wireless and wired connections. The Raspberry pi is connected to the wan through TP-Link UE300 usb adapter (RTL8153).

Model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2|
Architecture: ARMv8 Processor rev 3|
Firmware Version: OpenWrt 22.03.0 r19685-512e76967f / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-22.245.77528-487e58a|
Kernel Version: 5.10.138
Also using: adguardhome, SQM

When i'm connected wirelessly everything seems to work fine but if i connect the same computer through the wired connection i cannot pull/push git. I have not noticed anything else thats broken with a wired connection except this.

The git pull/push command will hang for a while and then return an error message about broken pipe issue.

What steps could one take to debug this issue?

Thank you.

was the ASUS configured as in https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap ?

The asus router is set to AP mode through its GUI interface, so dhcp and everything is disabled. Its connected to the Raspberry Pi through the Wan interface (Instructions from Asus documentation).

is the asus running openwrt ?

No the Asus router is not running anything its just acting as a AP and providing lan ports.
Openwrt is running on the Raspberry pi.

it runs something, or it'd be a hi-tech brick ...
but I assume it runs stock Asus FW ?

what if you bypass the Asus, and connect the client directly to the Pi ?

1 Like

that is wrong
if you use wan port dhcp should be enabled
you should use the lan port of the asus if you have disabled dhcp

2 Likes

I'll try and switch.
Thank you.