Steam Link as a NAS?

Just discovered that the Steam link is $14.99 right now. Not yet sure what hardware is underneath. Most likely ARM but no idea on the wifi. Has anyone tried this device?

Thoughts?

Overview
1080p resolution at 60 FPS
Wired 100 Mbit/s Fast Ethernet and Wireless 802.11ac 2x2 (MIMO) networking abilities
3 USB 2.0 ports
Bluetooth 4.0
HDMI out
Supports Steam Controller (sold separately,) Xbox One or 360 Wired Controller, Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows, Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710, or keyboard and mouse

In-box

Steam Link
Power cable and adapter
HDMI 2.0 cable
Ethernet cable

Update:

Found some more info:
Runs a linux kernel (no surprise)
Has 512MB RAM and 4GB Flash
Marvel wifi 2x2 MIMO and ARMv7
FWIW graphics are Vivante and there's an opensource driver supposedly

Update #2:
Notice it has 4GB flash not 4MB as I first wrote. Quite a big difference. I may get one and try as a NAS but depends on how much shipping is, plus they say there's a 3 week delay.

2 Likes

The reviews on the Steam Link site are mixed...

The Steam Link contains Marvell DE3005-A1 CPU which is a Single-core ARM Cortex-A9. This is the same processor used in the original Google Chromecast.

I would expect those reviews to be for using the device as it was intended. But here we're talking about using it as a NAS or AP or ???. But I haven't read the reviews maybe they are repurposing the device and talking about that??? I would doubt that as Steam has a lot of unfriendly moderators.

I just grabbed 1x unit from a local GameSTOP store @ $4.99 and am hoping LEDE will support it. If any devs here is interested, perhaps can grab one too from a local GameSTOP store before they run out of stock..

1 Like

From a quick Google search it seems to come with a locked bootloader. Unfortunate.

Any linky on this?

Its on sale for 2.75 EUR and I was looking to pick one up for experimenting.
But off course freaking shipping is 20 EUR to Croatia,way too much for me.

Anyone knows where I can get one cheaply?

1 Like

@robimarko
What about I send you one and you try to make it work? I pay for shipping of course. People on doozan have identified the pins/testpoints for the serial port, but seems like they don't have time to look further. What are the chances to find a workaround for the locked bootloader?

I can give it a try if you can ship one to me?
I gotta look into bootloader CLI

The bootloader is locked, but it is possible to change the kernel using kexec.
http://www.livxtrm.com/steamlink/