Status of WAC510 port

I can confirm it works just fine with POE. Uptime is now more than a month. I had a brand new one laying around unused. Due to the urgent need of a friend of mine I gave one of my production MR33 away and switched to the WAC510 over night.
Let me re-base it again and I can try to submit this with @robimarko permission. However, I only have one single unit which I kinda use in production now...

1 Like

Feel free to open a PR

3 Likes

@sumo
I have one of these on my desk that I've been running OpenWrt on. It only provides Wi-Fi for my phone and such, so I'm happy to assist with testing changes if need be.

1 Like

I re-based it again, built it and updated my device which seems to work fine:

I will improve on the commit message by adding proper initial support information and open a PR.

Let me know should you want my build for testing and I can upload it. OK?

1 Like

Thx.

I've personally been running my own rebased on master branch builds for a while without issues.

The only real change made by me, apart from cosmetic stuff for the rebase, was to bump the working frequency of the SPI-NOR to 50MHz & NAND-NOR in to 48MHz according to their datasheet spec.

1 Like

Here would be my build binaries, only additional thing I enabled is Luci with 2020 theme:
openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-squashfs-nand-sysupgrade.bin
openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-squashfs-nand-factory.ubi
openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-initramfs-fit-uImage.itb

2 Likes

OK, if you have a patch I can directly integrate that in the PR. Thanks!

I've uploaded the .patch

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xEdfeuqaeWYis8wDcLY7eJl1U_ZYQ52B/view?usp=sharing

Perfect, I applied it and re-building now. Thanks!

2 Likes

I updated them binaries now as well should anybody else want to give it a try...

1 Like

Flashed your build now. So far so good.

3 Likes

Can the factory image be flashed with the upgrade function of the original firmware?

To be honest, I never tried. So far I initially used the following installation method and then sysupgraded ever since:

Ok, I tried to flash the openwrt-ipq40xx-generic-netgear_wac510-squashfs-nand-factory.ubi via the web interface (original firmware) into a WAC505 - The original fw is always made for WAC510 and WAC505.
I put the root imgage into a tar archive with the following layout:

-rw-r--r-- root/root        14 2021-02-21 15:00 metadata.txt
-rw-r--r-- root/root        16 2021-02-21 15:00 version
-rw-r--r-- root/root   7864320 2021-02-18 17:32 wac5xx-ubifs-root.img
-rw-r--r-- root/root        56 2021-02-21 14:59 wac5xx-ubifs-root.md5sum

where metadata.txt is:

WAC505 WAC510

version (I choose the following):

WAC505_V9.9.9.9

the .md5sum file is the result of "md5sum wac5xx-ubifs-root.img > wac5xx-ubifs-root.md5sum"

The AP was accepting the layout and it seems flashing, but after 2 reboots it came back to the original firmware :frowning:

May be the WAC505 has some different layout (eg. it has only one LAN port).
Sadly, I have no serial access to see, what's going on.

It probably flashed, booted, failed, then booted to second partition which usually holds an older copy of the factory firmware.

I was told that you can only flash over a serial uart connection from factory.

1 Like

Just in case anyone else wants to use these things with VLANs, I'm using mine on tagged ports now, after following the guide I think @Gingernut tried to link to (this one).

Rebased @sumo's repo on master with no other patches. No issues with performance that I can see. Getting 300 something Mbit/sec with iperf3.

Speaking of your repo @sumo, did you get anywhere with creating a PR?

1 Like

No problems here to comment.

FWIW I have the lowest CPU frequency set @ 200Mhz as Qualcomm recommends and just recently enabled schedutil (replaces the old ondemand cpu governor), still testing but seems positive.

Schedutil needs enabling at compile time but here's what I stuff in my rc.local file:

# set CPU min freq scaling @ 200 MHz:
echo "200000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

# switch the CPU scaling governor:
echo schedutil > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor

No, sorry. But I hope to be able to really tackle it over easter.

I just tried installing OpenWrt from the original factory Netgear firmware V5.0.10.2 (01/08/2019) and it worked just fine. The only thing I noticed is that while the Netgear firmware does allow its web configurator via WAN PoE port, OpenWrt defaults to using it as an actual WAN port NOT allowing LuCI access so one has to revert to using the LAN port (defaults to regular 192.168.1.1/24) for LuCI access.

I re-based everything again and am now in the process of preparing the actual pull-request.

1 Like