State of TP-Link Archer C7v2|v5 in 2023

Thanks for that, saved me wasting any more time with c7.

I've read the guide on gib fibre and how essentially 'regular' routers can't deliver speeds good enough for 1 gig fiber. PI solution is the way to go.

However I don't get a couple things:

My Virgin Hub 4 CAN deliver gig ethernet speeds and 400Mbps over 5 Ghz (and its a modern!) all in one box. Is it that because it's got powerful cpu - can a mid/high consumer router not match it?

Using Hub 4 as a modem, takes some workload requirements off router? Or is the modem function not very intensive?

Proprietary hardware offloading, works in some easy cases, fails for more complec traffic patterns, mostly has no free drivers.

Not really, unless you make it terminate your WAN IP and make the c7 just a dumb AP, but then you lose all the features and security advantages of us8ng OpenWrt.

I didn't remember my C7, when I used one, being this slow for just routing. From this table:

~300 Mbps w/o software offloading and ~800 Mbps with software offloading (which OpenWrt does support) for just routing.

Using software offload (check box in luci firewall menu) may help free up the CPU to handle WiFi and yield a bit more than ~200 Mbps. Still, the C7 is no speed demon to be sure.

This is true, I have 500/100 internet and archer C7 v4 is routing it without problems full speed (with software offloading enabled). Wifi is of course much slower, around 100/100 across 2walls.

I am trying to install dnsmasq 2.87 but only getting version 2.86-15

Can anyone help me?

I think you have to build your own image since 2.87 isn't yet included in the latest releases/snapshots. At least that is what I did. I updated the dnsmasq files accordingly and then build my image. You can find the .ipk file in post 16 of this thread: Please update dnsmasq to 2.87 - #16 by rhester72 It contains the changes to be made to the dnsmasq files after you go through the setup process for building your own image.

1 Like

Just a quick heads up from me. All working fine so far.

I upgraded from 19.0x to the 22.03.2 logd build from @Catfriend1.

The upgrade process went super smooth, kept all my configs.

Just turned off LDPC 'cause im using hardware model TP-Link Archer C7v2.

Thank you very much @Catfriend1 for all the work over the years, its been my daily driver for quite some time.

1 Like

I was sitting down this morning to setup an AP using your build when I looked more closely and discovered that it's a TP-Link Archer A7v5.6. It's already running 21.02.2 and I now remember having some trouble making that happen. And now I'm hesitant to attempt flashing with this build without confirmation that this build will support the A7 series.

I did never flash A7 because I do not own the device. Better do not try it to be safe.

Thanks. I'll find another C7.

Hi, i am currently using a C7v2 with openwrt from post#1. It is currently setup as an Access Point. What is the best 2.4GHz settings for it? I mainly used this 2.4Ghz for my PS Vita streaming and smarthome devices.
Many thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

I'm upgrading from 19.x to build openwrt-22.03.3-logd-relayd-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade on my main router. With 19.x and Software flow offloading enabled I was reaching around 300/300 on speed tests (my connection is 300/300) no SQM, but with this build I rarely go further of 200/200.

Do I missing something?

BTW, thanks @Catfriend1 for your work.

1 Like

It may be the limit of the device. I did not use NAT so less power was required. Btw: I'm not continuing this anymore but it's easy to use ImageBuilder for you to generate updated images including ath10k (non-ct), wpad-mesh and batman-adv. Reason is I now own Xiaomi AX3600 devices which do Wifi 6 and have 90MBytes/sec throughput.

It seems that offloading is broken, i went back to 21.02.5

1 Like

Exactly. I'm using IPv4 PPPoE :sweat_smile:

From my understanding is just a matter changing to non-ct drivers and filling Script to run on first boot with the content of 99-ath9k-set-txq-memory-limit:

1 Like

Yep. That's correct.

1 Like

@Spyros have you tried this https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/issues/10224#issuecomment-1467278814 ?

No sir, currently I'm away. I work as a substation electrician @ 400kV and I will be back home on Friday.

The link to the 22.03.3-stable image appears to have been removed. Has it been repointed?