SQM QoS package don’t run correctly on WiFi

I have an internet speed connection of 940Mbps/50Mbps running on a Linksys WRT3200ACM with OpenWRT 19.07.3. When I use the SQM QoS package with one SQM instance on the eth1.2 (wan, wan6), the Download speed (kbit/s) (ingress) and Upload speed (kbit/s) (egress) run correctly at the right speed. When I add another SQM instance for a wlan0 (lan)/wlan1 (lan), I get a weird issue: the input values for Download speed and Upload speed are reversed when I run a Speedtest.

For example, I set download speed at '200000' kbit/s and upload speed at '10000' kbit/s and I run a speed test.

The output result for the download speed is '9340' kbit/s and the upload speed is '53800' kbit/s. You can see immediately there is something wrong with the speeds.

So, I decided to reverse the value to set my download speed at '20000' kbit/s and upload speed at '100000' kbit/s.

The speedtest results for the download speed is '91900' kbit/s and the upload speed is '18800' kbit/s. You can see the speed are clearly reserved.

Can anyone else could confirmed me they have the same WiFi speed issue with the SQM QoS package?

Thanks,

What is weird about that?
The qdisc gets configured for traffic from the router's perspective.

• download from wan to your PC looks like download on the wan interface
  • but download from wan to your PC looks like upload on the wlan0 interface from the router's perspective. (it is traffic away from the router, to you)
3 Likes

This is actually as expected, the upload and download directions in the GUI are always viewed from the perspective of the shaped interface, for a WAN interface these are aligned with up- and download from the internet, but for inward pointing interfaces like WLAN and LAN they are flipped.
When the GUI variables where named we opted for intuitive names for the common situation with SQM instantiated on WAN, so that only users with SQM on LAN would need to be taught about interface directionality and not all users.

P.S.: That is even mentioned in the FAQ:

" FAQ

SQM seems to be confused, my measured download speed is actually close to my configured upload speed:

Depending on the directionality of the interface with the directionality towards the internet that is not unexpected; try to flip the values in the GUI and see whether measured values better match your expectation."

Also note that there is no simple reliable way to test whether an interface is directed inwards and outwards in relation to the internet.

2 Likes

Thanks hnyman and moller0 for the precisions!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.