SQM fair bandwidth share. Does it possible? Help with settings

Currently it 3.99 :smiley:

Yeah why so high? You have a fast CPU right? What the heck are you running on it?

luci-app-nlbwmon, vpn policy routing and wireguard. Thats all.

Well something seems wrong but hopefully others can step in here with working out what. Only thing I can think of is to install and enable irqbalance.

Oh well, I'll see what it is. And now I will test the latency in games with PS4 (also connected by wire to avoid the wifi factor)

Well. Reminding of what I have:
PC connected wired and downloading steam game
Laptop connected wired and downloading via torrent (noticed that it have ~9 mbs, when pc have ~8,5, maybe it just error of counting and there is fair bandwidth, but laptop eating more speed than pc, maybe because pc downloading from steam (centralized) and laptop from torrent (p2p))
Sharing what i got:
On PS4 game Apex Legends
PING not go higher AT ALL (same ~80ms)
AND GAME WAS RUNNING GOOD WITHOUT ANY LAGS LIKE IM NOT DOWNLOADING WHOLE INTERNET LOL!!!

Update after 5 mins of active game: NO STUTTERS, NO LAGS, SMOOTH GAMEPLAY!!!]

Update after 30 mins:
I even recorder gameplay. No stutters, no lags, nothing!
In this time my phone was running 4k@30 in 2x speed (with buffering but i think this is youtube or my phone limitations), laptop with torrent, pc with steam download (i just don't know how can i load my network harder :D).

I will keep testing and updating this post. I am so happy guys :slight_smile: !!!

So cake/fq_codel will share between active sources and individual transfers can wobble a bit, so if one flow leaves some leftover capacity by not using up 100% of its share, other flows can use that excess capacity, but 9 to 8.5 seems pretty similar.
One thing to keep in mind is, per-IP fairness is great when you can separate out stuff like torrenting to a dedicated machine. But e.g. running a large Steam download on the PC while at the same time trying to play a demanding networked game on the same PC will still be problematic. But that should be easy to avoid.

One thing I'm confused about is that you have set 185Mbit/s and you then refer to bandwidths for phone and laptop of 8 to 9Mbit/s so what else is consuming the remaining 170Mbit/s?

Otherwise I watched your video and having wasted many hours of my life playing such games, which I now regret and I will never get back, I would strongly encourage you to adapt your play slightly. In particular right now when you engage an opponent you often seem to just do a little damage and then run on, but I think rather you should focus on killing the opponent and only then move on.

Nonono. u dont understand me right. I just used another unit measurement.

1 Like

Well, i tested tonight a lot. I started torrent download and upload, steam download (in same pc) and THERE WAS NO LAGS AT ALL!! Guys i can't say how im happy :))))

And about games. Man, i have so many mental problems, so when i found something that i like it's cool, because when i don't know what i like, i feel myself so bad and even attempted to suicide (i visiting psycho and getting help). I get a good mood from games (also i playing and screaming like idiot :D, i getting emotions), and then I go to do business. It's just a hobby to keep me alive and don't think how my life useless. Games have been an important part of me since I was 3 years old. (I started talking and understanding the world at 1 year old)

Well, after typing it i just crying. Crying from happy that all worked as i wish and my sad reality with rare joys.

1 Like

Ah, OK, in networking people tend to use real SI prefixes (base 10 instead of base 2^10) and bits instead of Bytes. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
So your rough numbers would be:

9 MeB -> (9 * (2^10^2) * 8) / (1000^2) = 75.497472 Mb
8.5 MeB -> (8.5 * (2^10^2) * 8) / (1000^2) = 71.303168 Mb

The conversion site you show converts from true MB to Mb so both base2^10.
Yes, this is confusing, however the networking convention has its merits in that is is unambiguous...

Well, that is surprising unless you have your torrent/steam downloads configured sanely (like limiting the concurrent number of flows for torrents and keeping "allow downloads during gameplay" unchecked in steam). But hey, I am not complaining that things work out for you!

1 Like

By the way, as you may notice from this thread, i disabled SQM at all and used this script from Lynx

And i don't configured my qbittorrent client and/or steam at all. No limits to speeds (for qbit i even almost disabled allowed active connections, resized it from default 100 to 999)

Also i played not from steam so steam even don't know that im playing, i also frequently checking torrent and steam during game.

I understand. Then the only other thing I can suggest that served me well is try to use it as a reward for doing good study/work. First study/work and then reward.

Yes this script and the packages mentioned on the GitHub apply CAKE independently of the SQM packages.

1 Like

We are all different people, and everything is different for everyone, especially in our rather geeky sphere, which obviously does not include normal people :slight_smile:

For example, what you described does not work for me at all. I just realized that it is worth my body to go the way it goes. My psychotherapist, in general, thinks the same in my case, and in general, she understands me very well, because she is essentially me, but only from the future, I have noticed this many times, she too :slight_smile:

In any case, you are doing a good job, and today you made my day (maybe even a month or a year, because before asking in the forum I tried for a very long time and did not understand why everything did not work, probably several years with different routers) . Thank you for the script and help. And to all that huge number of people who indirectly contributed to this work. Altruism is why humanity still exists.

Well best wishes indeed. Friendly bunch on this forum so ask away as issues crop up and we'll do our very best to help. And stay positive! Life is precious.

2 Likes

That does not really matter much, SQM is essentially a helper to get a sane shaper+AQM combination instantiated, once the shaper+AQM runs, SQM does nothing (it comes in handy when shutting a shaper down and offers hotplug support, but this will not matter as long as the qdisc is simply operating, and alternative set-up methods can offer the same functionality).
@Lynx could have created his script as a loadable script for sqm-scripts but since his script needs manual configuration anyway to adjust to a given set-up that would not really help, but just be a different way to set things up.

I would consider that to be problematic... I think the "allow downloads during gameplay" is by default unchecked, have a look (described in https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/163c-7c89-406e-2f63. Could you do me a favor and navigate to that site and post a screenshot here about the default settings, please?

Ah, okay, what game were you playing then?

So cake with per-IP-fairness will improve isolation between hosts (your torrenting laptop should not bother your gaming PC), but will do little to isolate application running on the same computer. If these applications do not interfere with each other they will continue not doing so with cake, and if the use a sane number of concurrent flows each cake's default per-flow fairness within each IP will result in graceful sharing of network capacity between applications. However both bit torrent (by using many parallel flows) and steam downloads (not sure whether by virtue of many parallel flows or aggressive TCP) are known to (potentially) cause problems when running on the same machine. But apparently from your test they are not guaranteed to cause issues either :wink:

+1!

1 Like

I can record a video for you, how it all works from one machine without any problems, maybe you will see something :wink:

But if I send it, then I don't want to send it to the public forum, because there will be a lot of personal data, but I can send it in private messages.

I really believe in your decency, guys, you are both cool people!

BTW I did also include a hotplug script to handle situation of interface going down and up. It will even handle VPN going down and then adjust everything accordingly and VPN going back up and adjust everything accordingly.

@Openwrtfunboy you could test just by stopping your VPN interface and verifying it all still works and restarting it again.

Yes, I will check it in the coming days (when I find the strength, because sometimes I wake up after 12 hours of sleep, eat, and go back to sleep for 12 hours xP).

I'll also take another look at irqbalance (or whatever it's called properly)

I heard about it when I had a router on the MTK, which for some reason had only one core out of 4 loaded and all the speed was not available.

What do you mean by stopping vpn interface? When vpn interface will stop working, my traffic will go without vpn? :frowning:

Also what settings it adjusting?