[Solved] WRT3200ACM - stable, US, can't use DFS channels

Running a new WRT3200ACM with stable 17.01.4 + the Winbond patch (applied manually and rebuilt ... looking forward to a new stable). I'm in the US.

No complaints so far, other than I can't seem to use any of the DFS-required 5GHz channels. Attempting to use any of those channels (change config, run wifi reload) disables the radio and logs this:

Mon Apr 30 03:17:40 2018 daemon.warn hostapd: wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (52) not found from the channel list of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a
Mon Apr 30 03:17:40 2018 daemon.warn hostapd: wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured channel

Same result for channel 100. These channels are all in the output of iw phy phy0 channels.

Corresponding config:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option channel '52'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option disabled '0'

I can't complain about performance on channel 36 but would like to know what is wrong. Searching the forums I find similar issues but usually for people outside the US.

IIRC, there's posts in other threads regarding DFS and the WRT AC Series... Forum search should pop up something.

• Just a general FYI, 5.7GHz network should use the highest possible channels, and Auto should never be utilized. If you live in the US, try 157.

I’m pretty sure for this device you need to explicitly set your US country option to make it happy on all radios

Also to save yourself a headache, remove the third radio driver if you compiled it in. OR don’t change the country on that one.

I had read other threads that spoke of purposefully not setting a country option with this radio, but I went ahead and set it for all three radios (to 'US') and rebooted, and I'm in business. Thanks @lantis1008.

Now, as it happens the radio rather quickly detects radar and changes channels but ... at least it seems to be working as intended.

1 Like

If your question has been answered, please consider marking this topic as [Solved].

Thanks. I looked for a way to do that and didn't find one, but it appears simply changing the title and prepending [Solved] is the practice? In any case, I've done as much. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.