[Solved] Unsuccessful libopenssl upgrade

That was probably not the best idea, but I checked with 'opkg list-upgradable' and decided to upgrade some packages. This is a remote site, still accessible via OpenVPN.
Something probably went wrong with openssl as wget started complaining:

Error loading shared library libssl.so.1.0.0: No such file or directory (needed by /usr/bin/wget)
Error loading shared library libcrypto.so.1.0.0: No such file or directory (needed by /usr/bin/wget)

OK, I've downloaded libopenssl_1.1.1c-1_mips_24kc.ipk, extracted libraries, transferred them to /usr/lib/ on target system and created symlinks to make wget happy:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            13 Jun 24 11:20 libssl.so.1.0.0 -> libssl.so.1.1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        458168 Jun 24 11:16 libssl.so.1.1
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            16 Jun 24 11:21 libcrypto.so.1.0.0 -> libcrypto.so.1.1
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       1849692 Jun 24 11:16 libcrypto.so.1.1

After this wget is not complaining on libraries anymore but gives the following error:

# wget
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: SSL_state: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: sk_pop_free: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: SSLv23_client_method: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: sk_value: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: RAND_egd: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: SSL_library_init: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: sk_num: symbol not found
Error relocating /usr/bin/wget: SSL_load_error_strings: symbol not found

Please advise how can I recover from this.

If you want to try to recover it, then you probably need to extract and hand-install the old libraries.

Reflash and reinstall of packages is often the easiest and most robust.

1 Like

ended up installing old libraries
thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.