[Solved] TP-Link Archer C7 V2, Can't recover through serial


#1

Hello!

I've been trying to recover my TP-Link Archer C7 v2 device through serial, with no success (While following "Recovery using serial connection").

I have soldered wires to a USB UART device, and can successfully receive output from it.

However, when trying to input "tpl" (+Enter), there is no response from the device.
I can tell that the USB to Serial device sends data, due to the TX led blinking.

Also, I tried to put a pull-up resistor, according to the link above, but to no avail :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Liran


#2

You should be able to activate TFTP by holding down the button as you power it up. Hold the button down until the serial output shows the transfer starting.

Mine have always been tweaky about being able to interrupt. I’ve never pursued it as the button has always gotten me into TFTP mode.


#3

What kind of output you get from serial console? It's possible that uboot is already corrupted.


#4

I had to try quite a few times (repeatedly typing tpl) before I could interrupt

When you start the router. Keep typing tpl and hitting enter as fast as you can. If it doesn't work, restart and try again.


#5

I always try to use the copy/paste method with this whenever I can. I mainly use Putty in Windows for serial access so I just copy tpl from notepad and when it asks for the input I just right click on the console and it pastes the data. I never had to press enter but in your case it may also work even with enter key and it should be faster than manually typing it.


#6

Thank you all for the support! Much appreciated!
Though I didn't (Unfortunately) manage to access the serial interface (It may be possible with more effort, based on your suggestions), I did work-around the problem of flashing a custom firmware on my router.

I realized it was region locked to Israel, so according to the wiki, I've tried flashing a custom dd-wrt image with the relevant region (Downloaded it from
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2019/02-06-2019-r38581/tplink_archer-c7-v2/factory-to-ddwrt-IL.bin ), then flashed an older stock firmware, and lastly, flashed the openwrt firmware (All according to the wiki).

So if something bad happens, I may have to come back for help with accessing the serial interface, and may do it just-for-fun :slight_smile:

Thank you all for the suggestions!
Liran


#7

Great! Welcome back then!

If your issue is solved, please mark the topic as such by adding [Solved] to the beginning of the title, like below.