[SOLVED] The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format

From the Upgrade from ar71xx to ath79 page, I read the instructions on how to upgrade my OpenWrt 18.06.5 firmware to the more recent firmware.

From the Table of Hardware: Firmware downloads page I see that my device (TP-Link Archer C7 v2.0 has an upgrade available named:

openwrt-19.07.2-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin and the checksum matches. I open the gui select the upgrade page. There I uncheck save configs and then browse to the upgrade package. Upon selecting to run the upgrade, I receive a message, in red letters: "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format". What did I do wrong?

What format do I use?

Since you have v2 hardware, use the ath79, archerc7-v2, sysupgrade bin.

I've never had a problem with sysupgrade -n -F. If you use the proper firmware it will work. Note that -F will flash any file without checking at all, so using the wrong file will brick the router. It's also a good idea to run sha256sum and check the sum on the copy in the router /tmp directory just before flashing the file.

If it does brick, you're going to need TFTP like they said in the first place.

I apologize. I mistakenly selected v1 on the download page. Please forgive, I'm in my 70s and that text is small for these eyes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.