[SOLVED] Safe to overwrite files from other packages?

I understood that; but as I said, that belief is not necessarily correct. And you're right, the same version wouldn't do much.

OK...I thought I mentioned it above...as you see this is in the Wiki...specifically:

Those looking to be on the bleeding edge can consider using the snapshot releases, but should be mindful of the differences between stable and snapshot. Or, alternatively, build a custom image with the desired updated packages included in that image. The remaining users who still want to use opkg upgrade should only do so with selected individual packages (do not bulk update, do not blindly update) and they should be aware that problems may occur that could necessitate a complete reset-to-defaults to resolve .

• optionally, you can build your own custom image too

...if you search, I think you'll find more threads regarding how such practices soft bricked the device - even when the OP had been running upgrades for a while...I was able to find 3 threads for your review:

Feel free to make your own thread if you have questions different from the OP's issue (i.e. about overtiring files from another package).