[Solved] OpenWrt + ISP router in Modem Mode - refuse to cooperate

Thank you all so much for a help.
I knew it cannot be that hard! Thank you guys. Custom FW was the problem. After flash and reboot procedure I was able to connect with OpenWRT through SSH and ping google dns's (still no connection on my PC tough). So I install LuCi as didn't know what to type in busybox to get connection stats
I can finally see something in IPv4 upstream section. There is only one problem left. Unless I will set up DNS server in my network card settings, I am not able to browse internet (IP ping works fine).
I can imagine what is the problem, so I am getting into web search immediately but please, fell free to drop me a fish or fishing rod at least :wink:

By default the clients connecting on the LAN interface of an Openwrt router will acquire DHCP settings, including Nameserver the router itself.
Is dnsmasq running?
Do you have configured your own NS for forwarding or do you install the NS that ISP advertises?

1 Like

One thing to check would be to see if you can ping or traceroute from Luci or SSH.

Ideally it would get DNS from the ISP router but you can also set a preferred DNS in OpenWrt

So.. I played with unbound and removing dnsmasq...which wasn't that great idea after all. Ended up with just another factory reset and...Voilà! Works like a charm :wink:
Thank you guys, I think I will take it from here. Topic solved.
Best regards!

2 Likes

If your issue is solved, please mark the topic as such by editing the title using the pencil icon to add "[Solved]" at the beginning.

You may also check the "Solution" checkbox under the post that includes the solution.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.