[Solved] Is it possible to connect an RJ11 phone to my router?

In my current setup I have a NETGEAR R7800 connected to a modem provided by my ISP running in bridge mode. The modem has an RJ11 phone socket to which my phone is connected. I know my ISP splits internet from VoIP and TV services through VLAN tagging - I can potentially pipe the phone traffic to an ethernet port. However, is it possible to connect my RJ11 phone to the RJ45 ethernet ports of my router? I have an RJ11 to RJ45 converter, but will the router be able to recognize the phone?

No, and even trying has a huge potential for permanent hardware damage - just because a plug looks kind of similar doesn't imply that it would be interchangeable.

1 Like

I agree with @slh, you can cause severe damage. I think you're mixing technologies and how your ISP delivers them to you. You've only solved Internet. If you're in the US-FCC area, your ISP is technically required to explain how the technologies are divided so you can install your own equipment.

Since TV and voice (as you say) are VLANs, you need to know how they are delivered to your access box; and how you can then access them, login, etc. via Ethernet.

I also agree with the responses....
My addition is this: If VOIP is your goal, you can consider getting VOIP phones that specifically connect via ethernet, or find a bridge device that has active circuitry to do the same task (something like this which has ethernet to connect to your network and a bunch of circuitry to provide an analog telephone interface for your traditional phones -- this is NOT the same as a simple wiring adapter).

1 Like

It's called an analog telephone adapter or ATA. The ATA is about as complex as a router; it has a CPU system that converts phone-compatible analog signals to digital, encodes them and encapsulates into IP packets that go to the RJ-45.

Generally if you want the ISP's VOIP service you have to use their adapter because they won't provide service to third-party ones. Often this adapter is built into the DSL or cable modem provided by the company.

Third-party VOIP operates as regular Internet traffic without a separate VLAN. You would buy a box like the Obihai and connect it to your LAN network like any other Ethernet device. Then you need a VOIP subscription from a company.

Ok, I think I will stay with my current setup. As much as I would like to get rid of the bridged router/modem to make things a bit tidier I don't want to fry my router. Thanks for the answers!

I'm almost certain that this device is probably an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) as well; but LEDE likely provides more security for your Internet than the provided equipment.

I have a FFTH connection right now, and I must use a ONT to interface between the fiber optic and my router; that ONT also gives service to the analog phones. I cannot connect the fiber optic directly to the router, and so far this solution has been very satisfactory to me.

1 Like

Security is probably the number one reason I chose to use LEDE, but I'm also happy with the additional features.

Ideally I would have my router connected to the directly to the fibre media converter, but then I would also need to cancel the VoIP subscription (I wouldn't mind, but others in the house would).

Right now my setup is more or less like yours: Fibre -> media converter -> router/modem (bridged) -> internet to R7800 and VoIP to phone. It works very well.

I asked the question out of curiosity as to whether it could be done, but I'm happy with things as they are.

In many cases (and if the ISP gives you the access credentials, respectively if you can extract them from their gear), you can also put your own VoIP/ SIP ATA (pbx) behind the router - thereby reducing the ISP router to a pure modem (if it supports that mode of operation). With several lantiq devices (with dedicated FXS ports) you can even run asterisk and chan_lantiq on LEDE/ OpenWrt to connect your analogue phones, instead of using a commercial device for that.

1 Like

Is this fibre media converter a separate device from the ISP's Router/ATA... and if so...does it have both Ethernet and phone connections???

If it only has Ethernet, your only option to remove the ISP modem is:

May be referring to a MOCA adapter.

Yes, it's a separate device that converts the optical signals in the fibre cable to electrical signals in a copper cable (Ethernet). It only has an Ethernet port which is connected with an Ethernet cable to the ISP router/ATA. The ISP router/ATA splits the VLAN tagged traffic and provides a separate port (RJ11) for the VoIP service.

There wouldn't be much of a point in doing this as I still would have two boxes and things wouldn't be any tidier. As I mentioned the question was of a theoretical nature and I'm happy with things as they are.

Thanks again for the answers!

1 Like