[Solved] Installed Openwrt on TL-WA901ND v4, unable to use VLAN correctly

I installed OpenWRT 18.06.2 on my device, since it claimed it supported VLAN on the stock firmware, but I couldn't get them to work, I tried with 2 different switches and a lot of different settings. So I decided to use OpenWRT, first confusion I have is that the software detects two interfaces eth1 and eth0 , event though there's only one ethernet port (eth0), still switch0 is associated with eth1.
I tried following a tutorial to create vlans, using CLI, since this tab is not available on this device, but I haven't had any success , I end up losing the device everytime.
If somebody could guide me in the right direction, which interface should I take as the one present?

Does this device actually support 802.1q?

First of all keep in mind the 432 warning.

The device has one ethernet port, which is eth1 in Openwrt according to the bootlog. Eth0 might be associated to the CPU.

The vlans are implemented in software level, they are not limited by the hardware.

Revert the Openwrt to factory defaults and post the following to get an idea of the layout.

Also explain the scenario you want to achive. With one ethernet interface, adding a vlan is as simple as creating a new interface named eth1.20 under eth1 for vlan 20.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. What do you require me to post?

Yes, I'll explain, I want to have 2 different SSIDs, one with the default VLAN, and one with a tagged vlan (VLAN ID 200).

A diagram of your desired network would be helpful. I am not sure if it's even possible to create a tagged wifi, because you usually "tag" a physical ethernet port. Do you want to create a wireless trunk or what's the plan (just curious)? Maybe you are just confused what "tagged" means? Don't worry, happened to me, too :wink:
My other assumption is that you just want to have two wifi stations associated with two ethernet ports?

OK, it looks like it has a single Ethernet phy from the photos.

So, for each VLAN you want to use, create an interface with that VLAN on the "active" phy (the one that shows link up). Then bridge the virtual AP ("SSID") to the interface you want. If you want to isolate the VLANs, you'll need firewall rules preventing at least forwarding between them, as well as deciding if you want either of the VLANs to be able to access the router's own IP addresses.

For example, here's a VLAN interface, the way I uses them for trunking VLANs

config interface 'vlan883'
        option type 'bridge'
        option stp '1'
        option ifname 'eth0.883'
        option proto 'none'
        option auto '1'
        option delegate '0'

Then, in /etc/config/wireless, I set the network for the wifi-iface to vlan883

Note that it is eth0.883 that sets the VLAN ID, not the name of the interface!

1 Like

Sorry , I didn't make myself clear, yes I'm passing VLAN 200 tagged , what I want to achieve is to bridge eth1.200 and an SSID , corresponding to that VLAN. I want two different SSID, one bridged with eth1 (Default VLAN) and one with eth1.200 (VLAN 200)

Thanks, I was confused wether it was just a name or it actually set the VLAN ID. It's clear to me now, I'll test this tomorrow, as soon as I get access to the device, thanks!

I could swear I wrote them, not sure why they got lost...
cat /etc/config/network ; cat /etc/config/wireless
However Jeff explained to the last detail what needs to be done. In case it doesn't work for you post these two to help troubleshooting.

1 Like

Got to achieve what I wanted, I was confused, since the vlan is defined by the "ifname" parameter. Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.