[SOLVED] Help with removing some packages from my build? WNDR3700v1

Hello All,

I have used this imagebuilder script with LEDE to create build which I need.

#!/bin/bash
make image PROFILE=wndr3700 FILES=files/ PACKAGES="6in4 6rd 6to4 adblock aiccu base-files block-mount busybox ccrypt chat collectd collectd-mod-conntrack collectd-mod-cpu collectd-mod-interface collectd-mod-iwinfo collectd-mod-load collectd-mod-memory collectd-mod-network collectd-mod-ping collectd-mod-rrdtool collectd-mod-uptime comgt comgt-ncm curl ddns-scripts ddns-scripts_no-ip_com diffutils dnsmasq dropbear firewall fstools fwtool hostapd-common hostapd-utils htop ip-tiny ip6tables ip6tables-mod-nat ipset iptables iptables-mod-conntrack-extra iptables-mod-ipopt iptables-mod-ipsec iw iwinfo jshn jsonfilter kernel kmod-ath kmod-ath9k kmod-ath9k-common kmod-cfg80211 kmod-crypto-aead kmod-crypto-crc32c kmod-crypto-des kmod-crypto-ecb kmod-crypto-hash kmod-crypto-hmac kmod-crypto-manager kmod-crypto-md4 kmod-crypto-md5 kmod-crypto-null kmod-crypto-pcompress kmod-crypto-sha1 kmod-crypto-sha256 kmod-fs-cifs kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-fs-hfsplus kmod-fs-msdos kmod-fs-ntfs kmod-fs-vfat kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-gre kmod-ifb kmod-ip6tables kmod-ipt-conntrack kmod-ipt-conntrack-extra kmod-ipt-core kmod-ipt-ipopt kmod-ipt-ipsec kmod-ipt-ipset kmod-ipt-nat kmod-ipt-nat6 kmod-ipt-nathelper-rtsp kmod-iptunnel kmod-iptunnel4 kmod-leds-wndr3700-usb kmod-lib-crc-ccitt kmod-lib-crc16 kmod-mac80211 kmod-mppe kmod-nf-conntrack kmod-nf-conntrack6 kmod-nf-ipt kmod-nf-ipt6 kmod-nf-nat kmod-nf-nat6 kmod-nfnetlink kmod-nls-base kmod-nls-cp1250 kmod-nls-cp437 kmod-nls-cp850 kmod-nls-iso8859-1 kmod-nls-iso8859-15 kmod-nls-utf8 kmod-ppp kmod-pppoe kmod-pppox kmod-pptp kmod-sched kmod-sched-cake kmod-sched-core kmod-scsi-core kmod-sit kmod-slhc kmod-tun kmod-usb-core kmod-usb-ledtrig-usbport kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-wwan kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb2 lede-keyring libblobmsg-json libc libcurl libgcc libip4tc libip6tc libiwinfo libiwinfo-lua libjson-c libjson-script libltdl liblua liblzo libmnl libncurses libnl-tiny libopenssl liboping libpcre libpthread librrd1 librt libubox libubus libubus-lua libuci libuci-lua libuclient libusb-1.0 libustream-openssl libuuid libxtables logd lua luci luci-app-adblock luci-app-commands luci-app-ddns luci-app-firewall luci-app-openvpn luci-app-samba luci-app-sqm luci-app-statistics luci-app-upnp luci-base luci-lib-ip luci-lib-jsonc luci-lib-nixio luci-mod-admin-full luci-proto-3g luci-proto-ipv6 luci-proto-ppp luci-theme-bootstrap luci-theme-material miniupnpd mtd nano netifd odhcp6c odhcpd openssl-util openvpn-easy-rsa openvpn-openssl opkg patch ppp ppp-mod-pppoe ppp-mod-pptp procd resolveip rpcd rrdtool1 samba36-server sqm-scripts sqm-scripts-extra swconfig tc terminfo uboot-envtools ubox ubus ubusd uci uclient-fetch uhttpd uhttpd-mod-ubus usb-modeswitch usign vsftpd wget wpad wwan zlib"

But now with latest openwrt 18.06.0 there is couple of problems. I found out, that atleast aiccu, odhcp, and some just had to be removed. Well that is not the problem.
Now the problem is that my router will lose configuration settings after reboot, so I will have to remove some packages. I just don't know which packages are useless for me from above config.

I will need basic openwrt system with luci and these additional features:

• Collectd statistics
  • SMQ Qos (piece of cake)
  • Best wireless encryption (wpad?)
  • OpenVPN server
  • Samba network share (usb stick)
  • MiniUPnP
  • DynamicDNS
  • Adblock (this is not must to have)
  • ipv6 things for the future usage (6in4 etc..)

Router is Netgear WNDR3700V1.

Thank you in advance!

You should only include in your command the packages that you actually want. The device profile and your selected packages will then pick up the needed dependency packages.

E.g. your list includes support for 3G USB modems (proto3g, comgt etc.) and that is not on your list. Similarly there are PPTP related packages. Plus USB disk mounting related stuff.

Looks like you have compiled the by including all kind of stuff unrelated to your actual needs.

You should cleanup the whole list, and just add the device and those packages that you listed as needed: luci-app-statistics, collectd modules, luci-app-sqm and cake, openvpn related stuff etc.

1 Like

Thanks ! I earlier used 3G modem, and that is why there is so much stuff. Problem is that I don't really know which are the packages I can remove. First time I build the image I found some instruction how to know which packages were installed and all those are from that time.

If it is not much to ask, maybe someone can "write down" correct PACKAGES line for me. :slight_smile:

If you use image builder and do not specify any package you will get the same image as the images from download but with updated packages.

Problem is that it's a lot of work to pick the packages for everything. Have you tried running "make menuconfig" and selecting the stuff you want? You can start by picking in the Luci apps category. You need to read the documentation to see which additional packages are needed. "Samba network share (usb stick)" doesn't make much sense. Do you want to mount a network share or a USB stick? You need Samba for network shares, or USB and file system drivers for a USB stick.

I agree with the suggestions thus far, but another thought...

Are you deploying a fleet of devices, or just one? Your list of requirements is not that long, so if you're just doing one or two, you may want to consider just flashing the standard image that is already available via the openwrt downloads page. From there, you should be able to install all of those things via the package manger (opkg) fairly easily and quickly since you really don't have too many extra packages to install. The opkg system will also handle installing the dependencies, too. You could even create a small script to do this if you've got multiple units and/or think you may re-install the image again.

1 Like

Today I tried from fresh start, but it seems that there is not enough space in the device for all of my needs. :frowning:

opkg install nano
opkg install luci-app-statistics collectd-mod-conntrack collectd-mod-ping collectd-mod-uptime
opkg install luci-app-sqm
opkg install luci-app-samba
opkg install luci-app-upnp ddns-scripts_no-ip_com
opkg install luci-app-ddns
opkg install kmod-usb-storage kmod-fs-ext4 usbutils
opkg install 6in4 6rd 6to4
opkg install luci-app-openvpn openvpn-easy-rsa openvpn-openssl

Is it possible that imagebuilder can fit more packages than that opkg way ?

Yes with image builder you shoud be able to install more packages as the non writable sqashfs is more compressed.

1 Like

Ok, then I have to start again with that PACKAGES line... huh..

Simly add the additional packages you need to PACKAGES... All other default packages are included anyway.
The dependencies of other packages are automatically resolved as with opkg.
If you run out of space, try to remove some single default packages with a leading "-".

1 Like

Do you mean that I could use this as PACKAGES line "nano luci-app-statistics collectd-mod-conntrack collectd-mod-ping collectd-mod-uptime luci-app-sqm luci-app-samba luci-app-upnp ddns-scripts_no-ip_com luci-app-ddns kmod-usb-storage kmod-fs-ext4 usbutils 6in4 6rd 6to4 luci-app-openvpn openvpn-easy-rsa openvpn-openssl" ?

Yes. And if you run out of space, check the buildlog for unneeded packages and specify that with the leading "-" to not include it in a second build run.

Thank you very much! I will try that.

Jipppiii !! It worked !! THANKS !!

Here is final build scripts which worked for me.

make image PROFILE=wndr3700 FILES=files/ PACKAGES="nano luci luci-app-statistics collectd-mod-conntrack collectd-mod-ping collectd-mod-uptime luci-app-sqm luci-app-samba luci-app-upnp ddns-scripts_no-ip_com luci-app-ddns blockd kmod-usb-storage kmod-fs-ext4 usbutils 6in4 6rd 6to4 luci-app-openvpn openvpn-easy-rsa openvpn-openssl luci-theme-material

you should probably add also luci-proto-ipv6 to have ipv6 support in LuCI as you have the 6in4 etc.

1 Like

Luci depends on luci-proto-ipv6 and can not removed.
Therefore it is always included if luci is.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.