[solved] EdgeSwitch 8XP - enabling port PoE?

Hi all, does anyone know the config to enable 48v PoE on specific ports for EdgeSwitch 8XP? They are disabled by default. No toggles exist in LuCI switch coinfig and I've looked at swconfig and don't see anything obvious. OpenWrt switch docs detail setting VLAN but not enabling POE. The DTS file makes references to 24v and 48v PoE using GPIO but I don't know how/where to specify that in config.

I am running a build off master btw.

root@OpenWrt:~# swconfig dev bcm53128 help
switch0: bcm53128(BCM53128), ports: 9 (cpu @ 8), vlans: 4096
--switch
Attribute 1 (int): enable_vlan (Enable VLAN mode)
Attribute 2 (string): ports (Available Ports (as bitmask))
Attribute 3 (int): reset_mib (Reset MIB counters)
Attribute 4 (int): enable_jumbo (Enable Jumbo Frames)
Attribute 5 (int): allow_vid_4095 (Allow VID 4095)
Attribute 6 (none): apply (Activate changes in the hardware)
Attribute 7 (none): reset (Reset the switch)
--vlan
Attribute 1 (ports): ports (VLAN port mapping)
--port
Attribute 1 (string): mib (Get port's MIB counters)
Attribute 2 (int): pvid (Primary VLAN ID)
Attribute 3 (unknown): link (Get port link information)
root@OpenWrt:~#

until someone who knows what they are talking about comes along... afaik... they are gpio toggled... and not auto-sensing ( will fry non-poe device of enabled )...

see committer init.d toggle... or hit them up as they mentioned maybe doing a luci gui one day...

1 Like

Thanks for the insight wulfy23, I will work with this.

Using your links I was able to examine the code and put the following in rc.local to enable PoE on the two ports my 802.3af APs use...

echo 1 > "/sys/class/gpio/ubnt:48v-poe:port2/value"
echo 1 > "/sys/class/gpio/ubnt:48v-poe:port3/value"

While perhaps not elegant, it works perfectly and allows me to ditch the PoE injectors I was using previously. Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.