[Solved] Adding a secondary card

Hello. I`m trying to add a usb-ethernet adaptor to a pi3 . Haw do i setup this in order to have a WAN on the build in port and a exit port on the usb device?
Any ideea?

First make sure you have installed the right opkg packages. Mine works with opkg install kmod-usb-core kmod-nls-base kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether kmod-usb-net-rndis kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb2 usb-modeswitch kmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179, but I am not sure all the packages are needed, and you will at least have to switch kmod-usb-net-assix-ax88179 to the package that matches your adapters chipset.

Then go to LUCI > Interfaces > WAN > Physical Settings, and make sure that WAN (and WAN6) is attached to the native port (probably called eth0).

Last go to LUCI > Interfaces > LAN (br-lan) > Physical Settings, and add the adapter port to the selected interfaces.

1 Like

what image do you use?
I got:
https://downloads.lede-project.org/snapshots/targets/brcm2708/bcm2710/lede-brcm2708-bcm2710-rpi-3-ext4-sdcard.img.gz.

My problem is that i have kernel error when i try to install the modules that you mention. I try other packets but same error.
Help please?

https://lede-project.org/faq/after_installation#cannot_satisfy_dependencies

1 Like

I use: https://downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.4/targets/ramips/mt7620/lede-17.01.4-ramips-mt7620-miwifi-mini-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin and all the packages I mentioned installs without errors.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
First. My initial image:
Command:
opkg install --force-depends kmod-usb-core kmod-nls-base kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether kmod-usb-net-rndis kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb2 usb-modeswitch kmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179
Result:
All modules installed ok. Card still NOT WORKING.

Your image:
Command:
opkg install kmod-usb-core kmod-nls-base kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether kmod-usb-net-rndis kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb2 usb-modeswitch kmod-usb-net-asix-ax88179
Result:
All modules installed ok. Card still NOT WORKING.

I research the chipset vendor, and i found a module with the same name. Install the module, everything works just fine. Thanx. Issue solved.

1 Like

Would you mind telling us

• Which usb-ethernet adapter
  • Which chipset vendor
  • Which module with the same name you used

to make it work, so others with the same problem will know what to do?

BTW: --force-depends is not a good idea when installing kernel modules. Chances are high that it will not work.

VK-QF9700 Cheapest
All I can google about it was the adapter base driver. I get over DM9601. After a quick search in LUCI>software , I found the kmod module. In description was mention DM9601. Install and work.
I know is a cheap thing, but is just part of a prototype.

Now, for everybody who will like to install a usb - Ethernet adapter, especially the cheap ones. Fallow this tutorial.
First, make sure you have a good image. Your kernel is important when you decide to add dongles to your project.
In the case above, I work on a OpenWRT image, and i got some kernel errors. So PEEL YOUR EYES to your kernel.

First step: Checking the card functionality and chipset vendor.
SSH to your device, and add the card into the usb port.
Your device will react and state an output contain the type of usb device. In the worst case (my case), the output will be USB-Ethernet Converter 100/1000.That is all.1£ street market card.
I was force to google after product serial number and find the chipset. Do the same, if in trouble. If you got a good output (you use a good card), you may see the type of chip-set.
Step Tow: Installing base Kernel usb modules.
Now, just run into cli:
$ opkg update
$ opkg install kmod-usb-core kmod-nls-base kmod-usb-net kmod-usb-net-cdc-ether kmod-usb-net-rndis kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb-uhci kmod-usb2 usb-modeswitch $reboot
Step Three: Installing card driver

Login into Luci and go to software. Update your sources and lookup for your chipset vendor. Install the module.
Reboot.
Now, check if is all in order.
$ifconfig
The eth1 (most likely) will be there.
If is not, just reset your network service:
$ service network restart
Check again. eth1 will be there.
Login into Luci and edit lan network. Cover the new car. Save and apply. Reboot. Job done.

Now. Fore those who reed just in the end. In the beginning of the tutorial, I ask you to check your image/kernel. In may case I used --force-depends argument over opkg. It worked. BUT after after the installation process and the fast testing moments (plug a cord between the project an a laptop, check if you got net), I decide to fallow the advice of my teachers and switch to a more stable image.
You must understand that I can not guarantee that you will not damage your project, or mess up your kernel. Listen to the guy above me, he knows better.

1 Like