So, I got this Netgear WNDR4300 Wireless Router on cragslist to mess around with

I installed openwrt on it, I ssh'd to it in root (I am using linux) and I set the password.
Now what?
I was thinking about installing LuCI, but I can't figure out how to do that. I'm not even sure if it gets installed on my computer or on the router itself LOL
I'm really not sure what I am doing
I thought this would be a neat project, so, what the heck. hey. why not
Mind you, I am using Linux. Mostly MX Linux because systemd is disabled - sometimes Lubuntu, and maybe some other distro or two...or three - I can't make up my mind these days - I have a bunch of laptops with linux installed. My windows laptop has been sitting in its case for a while.
Should I break out the Windows box (Win 10)? I really don't want to - I learn more while using Linux.
Okay
That was my first post here - you can now flame me for not using proper etiquette

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/start

Linux is fine,
Luci is on the router itself, just use your web browser.

if your router is already online just use

opkg update
opkg install luci

Edit
if you installed an official release like 18.06.1 it should already be installed

The snarky response would be 'yeah, now what?' :stuck_out_tongue:

But in all seriousness, what attracted you to OpenWRT? Are there specific things you want/need to implement, or things you want to learn about? Also, is this your 'production' router or a playground device (in other words, are you relying on it running properly, or can you afford to experiment and risk downtime with the unit)? OpenWRT is very flexible and it is difficult to really advise for the 'what now' question... start with the link that @mbo2o posted... also look at the available packages for inspiration and things to try.

Ok,
I plugged the router (which has OpenWrt on it) into the lan cable which provides internet from my ISP, etc...
Plugged another cable straight to my computer...
logged in via ssh (terminal)
did the update and install to no avail
apparently there is no internet going to the thing.
the trick, I guess, is how to get the router online.

Connect the wndr4300 WAN (internet port) to your main router.

then connect your PC to one of the LAN ports.

I just want to see what I can do with it

did that too
no luck

Have you worked yourself through https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/start?

1 Like

I think I'll try to make a TOR router next.