Slow wifi, but good eth speeds

I recently flashed OpenWRT on my TP Link WDR3600 which was running dd-wrt for a long time. Everything works well except wifi speeds. My pc gets ~280mb/s down and 6mb/s up on ethernet, but only ~25mb/s down and 6mb/s up on average (its very inconsistent) wia wireless. Its interesting that the upload speed doesn't change much.

Buffer bloat isn't great doesn't seem to be a major concern.

Wifi:

wifi

Eth:

eth

Is this over the 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi? Also, which WiFi version is your PC using? (like, 802.11ac or WiFi 5)

The tests above were done on 2.4ghz. If I connect my phone to 5ghz it gets ~50mb/s (it gets ~30 on 2.4). Better but not great. I'm about 5 feet from my router so I'd expect it to be a little closer to my eth speed.

My pc's network adapter says 802.11b/g/n and my phone is less forthcoming with details but I'm certain its the same.

So it seems its not a problem with the devices, but rather something on the router that is slowing it down.

Everything else in openwrt is so incredibly easy to set up so if I can get this rectified I'll be thrilled.

The router can only do wifi-n on 2.4 and 5 GHz

What is your reference to compare wifi? stock firmware? other APs?

25-50mbit is a good range for older wifi-n equipment, with or without OpenWRT. It won’t get better, I am afraid.
Newer AC equipment may have slightly better wifi-n performance as well, but not much.

You need wifi an wifi-AC AP and have AC-clients to get into a range of 100-400mbit (depending on distance) with OpenWRT. (I would advice against wifi AX equipment for end users until more maturity is reached in OpenWRT drivers)

2 Likes

I didn't test anything other than openwrt because everything always worked adequately and I didn't care. But after flashing openwrt my firetv stick was acting up and taking a long time to load things and I assumed the firmware switch was the culprit. Maybe everything will work fine tonight when I watch some tv and this will end up having been a waste of time.

There is a radio setting Force 40mhz Mode that openwrt disable by default for compatibility at expense of performance