Slow boot on HP t240 thin client x86 device

I am planning to install OpenWRT on a HP t240 thin client machine.

I followed the instructions, downloaded the "generic-ext4-combined-efi.img.gz" version, and tried to boot the device from a bootable USB. The machine took about 40 minutes to boot from USB. After displaying the Booting menu and selecting OpenWRT, the screen went black for half an hour until system logs appeared at a very slow rate. The process takes about the same time on internal storage, although Ubuntu boots in less than a minute without any problems on this device.

dmesg with its timestamped log messages should provide some insight (admittedly, I probably wouldn't have had the patience to it sit for half an hour). In general, even from a slow USB stick, OpenWrt shouldn't take more than a minute on any x86 system (it certainly doesn't on my j1900 and c1037u, more like 30-40 seconds).

1 Like

I'm not patient either. after booting the USB, I started doing something else, and suddenly I noticed that the log messages were displayed :)) , I'll try to take a video or pic from the dmesg

Could try adding nomodeset to the kernel params.

1 Like

Problem solved guys; I've removed console=ttyS0,115200n8r from the grub menu config; I don't know why that's causing the system to boot like a charm.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.