Simple vlan configuration is not working

Thank you a lot! could you please in two words describe what was the reason and what that option in dhcp config fixed?

By adding the IPv4 server mode, it ensures the odhcpd actually listens on the interface and responds with IPs in the correct subnet.

More than 2 words... lol

1 Like

Getting problems with DHCP server. mobile device connected to wi-fi ap can't get IP address, don't you know why it could happen? it is going out of topic for sure

Is the AP setup correctly?

it is in bridge mode, I believed it is transparent for clients. Open wi-fi network without password. My mac connected to this AP can work but get ip not very smoothly, like a from second attempt. Mobile devices stuck on getting IP address

Is your AP running OpenWrt?

No it is mikrotik router-os. is there any specific I have to configure?

no idea... that might be a good question for the 'tik forums. I honestly don't know anything about those devices.

I believe that mikrotik devices works pretty well, at least my mac can connect to it. the reason that mobile devices can't get IP

Sun Dec  4 23:28:39 2022 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1]: no address range available for DHCP request via br-lan2
Sun Dec  4 23:28:39 2022 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1]: no address range available for DHCP request via br-lan2
Sun Dec  4 23:28:41 2022 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1]: no address range available for DHCP request via br-lan2
Sun Dec  4 23:28:46 2022 daemon.warn dnsmasq-dhcp[1]: no address range available for DHCP request via br-lan2

that is the reason!

weird, there are plenty of addresses in range.

config dhcp 'lan2'
        option interface 'lan2'
        option leasetime '12h'
        option dhcpv4 'server'
        option start '50'
        option limit '200'

still no addresses... hm

Yeah. That may be a red herring. Iā€™m not sure what is causing that error.

Is it possible that we need configure dhcp not for lan2 interface but for br-lan2? or this is bullshit?

dhcp for br-lan2 doesn't work too :frowning:

no, it should be the interface, not the device.

I suspect it is something with the AP, not the OpenWrt configuration. Unifi APs had major issues for a while where DHCP requests/responses would just be swallowed and the client devices could not get IPs. It was an issue with the firmware, but configuration details could make it better or worse.

that could be a reason, but this error means that openwrt get the request and doesn't send the answer, ok will create a separate topic if I won't google a thing

You were totally right! after reading this thread: No address range available for DHCP request error

I set Force setting in dhcp configuration and now all good. Thank you one more time for hints

Be careful with this... you may end up with some guest devices that get a response from the DHCP server (if actually active) from the 'tik. it that happens, they probably won't be able to get online. You should look into how to disable the DHCP server on that device.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.