Setting up Sqm for Devices connected to Lan Port Only

I want to setup sqm on the devices connected by ethernet to my router only because currently it affects my wifi too.

For SQM to control your internet access link's bufferbloat it needs to control all traffic. But maybe you really do not care about bufferbloat and just want to slow down the LAN?

Anyway, please post the output of the following commands run from a ssh shell on the router:

ifstatus wan
cat /etc/config/sqm
tc -s qdisc
2 Likes
root@OpenWrt:~# ifstatus wan
{
"up": true,
"pending": false,
"available": true,
"autostart": true,
"dynamic": false,
"uptime": 39957,
"l3_device": "eth0.2",
"proto": "dhcp",
"device": "eth0.2",
"updated": [
"data"
],
"metric": 0,
"dns_metric": 0,
"delegation": true,
"ipv4-address": [
{
"address": "hiding",
"mask": 20
}
],
"ipv6-address": [

],
"ipv6-prefix": [

],
"ipv6-prefix-assignment": [

],
"route": [
{
"target": "0.0.0.0",
"mask": 0,
"nexthop": "hiding",
"source": "hiding/hello"
}
],
"dns-server": [
"209.18.47.62",
"209.18.47.61"
],
"dns-search": [
"twcny.rr.com"
],
"neighbors": [

],
"inactive": {
"ipv4-address": [

],
"ipv6-address": [

],
"route": [

],
"dns-server": [

],
"dns-search": [

],
"neighbors": [

]
},
"data": {
"hostname": "OpenWrt",
"leasetime": 77382

this and:

means you instantiated SQM on your wan link, it will shape any traffic traversing your WAN link independent of your internal source (wifi or wired). I would say SQM is doing what you tell it to do, and, if you want to control bufferbloat you really need to do that.
But please explain what your goal is?

1 Like

Lately it seemed Sqm has been making my speeds slower than they usually were for my wifi so I was trying to find a way to prevent this by seeing if i can just have sqm run on ethernet connected devices not devices connected by wifi.

That sounds like it will not work, unless SQM sees all traffic across an interface it can not counter act bufferbloat. So SQM on a LAN port will not fix bufferbloat on your internet access link if WiFi users also access the internet.

What internet speeds do you have and what router model?

1 Like