Setting up an independent network with my PC on eth0 and the Quest 2 on radio1 while connected to the main router via wifi for internet access

Hi everyone!

I'm a bit in a pickle right now.

I'm using OpenWrt 21.02.1 on a TP-Link RE200v1. Software seems to work great, but I just can't figure out how to properly set it up.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I want to play Steam VR games on my Quest 2 with only a single device inbetween it and the PC and since I can't move my router this is what I came up with.
But I'm already struggling with getting internet access on the OpenWrt device via WiFi. It only works when plugged into the router via Ethernet, even though it is connected via WiFi and the settings are the same.

Is what I want even possible? Any ideas?

Have you checked travelmate? Although it was made for another use case, it could fit your usecase.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.
Unfortunately I can not use the 5GHz network for both the connection to the router as well as an access point for other devices.
As soon as it's connected to the router the access point vanishes.
Is there anything I can do to change that?

Be sure to configure your country code for best wifi results.

Is it really connected? It is normal for the AP to stop working while the client is searching for its AP.

AP and client mode at the same time won't work on a DFS channel. If the Fritzbox is using a DFS channel you would need to change it.

Whenever I set up an access point as well as enable the Travelmate client mode both on the 5GHz device everything stops working correctly.
It's either or. To get the access point to show up on my phone the client has to be disabled and for the client to connect the access point has to be disabled. They just wont work together.
Works fine when using 5GHz for one and 2.4GHz for the other.

Enabling one disables the other automatically most of the time. I have to really try hard to get them both to be "enabled", which is odd, yet they just won't work together.

I mean it is a repeater, so it should be able to do that. I have a v4 with the same ac chip in it and the stock firmware does allow you to force only 5GHz connection to the router as well as only 5GHz extended network, so this one should in theory work as well, or am I mistaken?

Do I have to enable some sort of repeater mode on the wifi device?