Serial number of device keeps changing at every boot

I have a DLink DIR-510L with Openwrt (22 or 23, not sure) I have also installed a virtualhere usb server. Unfortunately I cannot register the server with a license because the serial number that the license relies on keeps changing at every boot. I know that this is not a virtualhere issue because I have checked it on another machine and the developer has also developed versions specifically for Openwrt.
Can any one look into why this specific router changes it’s serial number at every boot?

Cheers

What "serial number"????

MAC address?
Something else?
There is no serial number usage in OpenWrt...

Don’t know for sure if it’s a serial number, the developer doesn’t use that term, and it’s not a MAC address because this shouldn’t change, all I know is that it’s some number generated by virtualhere licensing based on the hardware.

The developer of the virtualhere server doesnt know why the number changes on my Dlink router, but it doesn’t seem to change on other portable routers, such as tp link routers or my netgear router for that matter.

Don’t think I have ever seen a formal serial number on home routers. Usually this is the same thing as the mac since that is device specific and unique.

There is one thing I have noticed for my self when we started using DSA setup with devices. If you haven’t specified a specific mac for the device in the network settings. Then a random new mac number is defined every time you make a new device. And that will give you a new wan IP address every time if you reload the wan device to a dhcp server that gives a new release.

If you run default installation settings then this mac definition is predefined in the network settings.

If that is what they mean by serial I don’t know but it the closest I can think about?

Why? Doesn't usbip work?

1 Like

Some devices don’t support automatic detection of the factory MAC address, so they do change every boot unless statically set.

Have you checked it’s staying the same?

No, I’ll look into it
Any hints on the best way to make it static if it is a floater?

Could never get it to work with even one device (my dslr) I’m trying to use at least two devices at the same time from a portable wireless router connected to my home network.

Virtualhere works perfectly and first time

The config option explained in the wiki.

1 Like

Great!. Then everything is fine.

Just can’t register it because a number it uses to tie it to hardware keeps changing - meaning it’s unregistered at next boot and therefore crippled

MAC address stays the same, have to look at something else

And this problem is simple because? And the usbip problem is complicated because?

I obviously only know the little you've told us, and that's basically notthing techically relevant at all for any of the issues. But I do know that one of these solutions is commerical and therefore obviously includes paid support, while the other is supported on OpenWrt. So I do wonder if you confused the two?

I have been in touch with the developer, he can’t help (won’t?) as he said that it may be my device that is the issue, I’m inclined to agree because why would a developer have different coding for one registration method, and he was at the time offering Openwrt compatible binaries that could be registered, he just recommended a particular type. Then there is the device itself, is that at fault? Likely not as I have had three of these things and they all exhibit the same behaviour. So this leaves Openwrt. I do know that virtualhere works with other brands of router and has stable registration for virtualhere on Openwrt but the registration method does not work for this Dlink router.

There maybe something going on between the dlink and Openwrt in a way that hasn’t been thought about, perhaps it was overlooked, or perhaps it was unimportant, - I’m just looking for ideas.

As for USBip, the windows clients I have found and tried to use don’t seem to support dslr cameras and astronomical tracking mounts either properly or at all.

It maybe simpler to find another suitable portable router, but with the specs I need, they’re as rare as hens teeth these days,

Nobody here knows, how your software computes the "serial number" that it uses, or from where it fetches it.

It is probably some kind of computed ID that aims to be unique, but unless it is stored on the file system by the software after computation, it may well change at the next boot.

There is no standard way to obtain a "serial number" of a router. Each OEM vendor has its own way to possibly store the serial number on the flash, but all devices do not have it burned on flash. It might just be on the sticker at the bottom. OpenWrt does not use the serial number and does not offer any API to read it as it serves no purpose. (If you know where the serial number is stored in flash of your router, you can manually read it with file system tools.)

And then you want some free help to break the licensing code of that application? That's not nice.

Hard to argue against that. I'm sure there are Windows clients that don't work too good, since there are a few abandoned projects around. And I'm pretty sure that none of the usbip clients has any dslr camera or astronomical tracking mount support. After all, that's not necessary so it would be both buggy and bloated if it did.

tt's not like your hardware xhci host controller has any dslr specific support either. I think USB ports would lose a bit of their attraction if that was a requirement.

In any case, if it wasn't clear: This is the place to ask about running usbip on Openwrt. It's not necessarily the best place to ask about running a usbip client on Windows, but you might be lucky and find someone with such knowledge here.