Semi-Bricked Linksys e8450

I recently purchased a "new" "open box" "non-returnable" Linksys e8450 reportedly with Linksys v1.2.00.273012 firmware. My intention is to install openwrt.

When the router is started with a cable from my gateway router (192.168.0.254) plugged into the "internet" port, it connects to that router and gets an IP address for the WAN connection (192.168.0.x) from the gateway's DHCP server. I set up an alias IP on my desktop in the 192.168.1.x group, and can ping the router at 292.168.1.1, but don't get a web interface when trying to use a browser. I don't care if I never see the Linksys interface, but I had to go through it on my other e8450 in order to install openwrt. Is there a way to install the openwrt firmware via tftp?

Snapshot installed?

Those come without web ui, install a stable 22.03 release, using the sysupgrade command via ssh.

The router is reported to have the Linksys v1.2 firmware. I cannot reach it's web interface (which it should have-its not an openwrt snapshot), so that I can install openwrt.

You could try the proper install method, but it might require web access, haven't read the script.

Or simply try to reset it.

I did try to reset the router (more than once!). It boots up and gives me the expected blue lights, but I can't access the web interface, so I can't do a "proper" install. That's why I asked the question.

Things weren't quite as bad as they seemed. When I went to the web page in an attempt to install OpenWrt, I got error messages, and the page didn't load. When I finally paid attention the the messages, I found that it was trying to make a secure connection to the router, but if I went ahead and bypassed the warnings I got the the router's web page. I now have OpenWrt on that router, and don't get the warning messages when going to the luci web page.

Greetings!
I bought a new Linksys e8450 in an open box.
It connects to the Internet, the computer, when I go to the browser 192.168.1.1 the Linksys e8450 window appears, I enter the password admin, the browser goes into the router settings and after a second exits, asking for the password. I tried to enter the settings of the Linksys e8450 from three devices, everything was the same. Tell me what could be the problem?

Tried resetting it ?

You're not running Openwrt, you need to ask Linksys, or flash it with OpenWRT, if doable.

https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/e8450

I reset it with the reset button several times, to no avail. It has the usual factory firmware.

Well yes, it's not going to boot Windows out of the blue.

I'd return it, perhaps that's the reason why it was an open box in the 1st place.

impossible

That's sucks.

Then you'll probably need serial access to figure out why it's failing, but there's no guarantee you'll manage to get it working.

Is it possible to flash OpenWRT via a parallel port (programmer)?

Possibly, depends on the chip, but I'd try serial 1st.

1 Like

Thank you !

Had same issue. Tried Android,iOS and windows. Last resort was linux. Booted mint os and the login worked. Earlier it was not accepting the default password.

Reread the problem description, that's not the scenario described by @Taras1177.

Problem solved. You just need to set the ie11 compatibility mode in Edge, and everything works.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.