Sd card Format

Hi,

Which sd card format does openwrt use? Having difficulty mounting a sd card with openwrt on it on my mint Linux laptop.

Thanks,

Aaron

The hard one to mount is usually squashfs.

The answer depends on what image you are working with. Ext4 is an option on most devices with sd cards and is easy to mount.

As stated by @frollic, squashfs is harder to mount.

I am guessing because I need to download an "Banana Pi R64" version the default is squash instead of Ext4? Using the firmware-selector at openwrt.org only one sdcard.img.gz is listed.

There are a lot of available downloads.... did you download and write the standard "sdcard.img.gz" or something else?

https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=22.03.2&target=mediatek%2Fmt7622&id=bananapi_bpi-r64

The standard .img but there is only one unlike when I have my R1 and download an .img it listed two separate .img for ext4 and one for sqaushfs.

I’m pretty sure that the img file will be an ext4 file system when written to the card.

What do you see when you look at the SD card with a disk utility on your Linux system?

if sdb128 is the 1st partition, it doesn't appear to be a readable file system, but a binary ...

Well, I format the sd card first as Ext4 then install openwrt however, the above image is what I receive.

and the problem is .... ?

the card is not showing up using blkid.

Edit:

This is what blkid shows before writing OpenWrt to the sd card.

blkid
/dev/sda2: UUID="E199-35DF" BLOCK_SIZE="512" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="63b4d016-93b4-4f24-baf6-3311f26d554e"
/dev/sda3: UUID="29b8014e-362b-4cc0-bca5-60d438e8e29d" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="e3950a25-f373-48a8-b04b-877173e579fb"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="ff8dc9bc-b4cd-48ea-854e-b84547e96a72" BLOCK_SIZE="4096" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="7d30771c-2de4-4256-b431-33b1a3a77165"

and that is a problem .... because ?

The sd card won´t mount if OpenWrt is on the sd card but will mount if the sd card doesn´t contain openwrt.

and of what interest is sdb1 to you ?

it contains an object/file called 1.fip.

5 is the file (no 6 partition, I guess) is the root FS.

again, what's the problem, what are you trying to achieve ?

I am trying to mount the whole sd card with openwrt on it.

You can't mount the "whole" card, because it contains several partitions, and some of them doesn't appear to carry any proper FSes...

1 Like

Just need to figure out which partition contains the data such as boot and root.

Oh, so you did need to mount the whole card, after all.

Root FS partition location have already been given ...

Have setup openwrt to preform a backup of the sd card.