Samba 4.x package support thread

@echelon @Gingernut
Can you help me build Samba 4.16.5? I would like to test this version, but i am failing with my makefile. (Still a noob in building openwrt)

Samba 4.17.1 was just released, bunch of bug fixes but nothing related to logging. I'm not sure it's a Samba issue honestly because this package worked well for me, although I'm back on 22.03.2 for the time being so can't use this new package I don't think.

[https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.17.1.html]

Thanks for the info. Maybe I try building this version in the next few days and have a look.

FYI: Image-Builder is great for including custom packages in the firmware images, e.g. Samba 4.17 from snapshots in 22.03.

2 Likes

If you are following the thread from your link, and might useful to others, setting this below might be helpful :

logging = 0

Not tested as I don't use samba4 extensively.

Regarding your building OpenWrt learning process, I could add the following command which might be helpful to building a specific package :

make package/samba4/{clean,compile} V=s

I am using debian sid as my OpenWrt building platform, also you can use "tee" to redirect the building log into a file :

make -j5 V=s 2>&1 | tee output.log

And if you are in Windows mainly, you can use software like notepad++ to search for word "ERROR:" in backward direction, make sure to put your cursor in the end of the output.log and choose "Backward direction", search for the package that has the error and fixes it, better than manually using "make -j1 V=s" and repeat the building process.

Thanks for your input. After some try and error, building 4.16.5 errors out at configuring. Maybe its the waf files. If i find some time in the next few days i try it again and post the logs.

Building 4.17.1 works with changing version and hash in the makefile of the latest commit by Gingernut. I had no time to test the packages and see if it fixes the messages in sys-log (i doubt it).

For now i used your files to build 4.15.10, which seems to work fine for my production system.

2 Likes

Any comments on this crash. It seems like it was caused by Samba4.
Samba4-server version is 4.17.2-2.

I didn't have any device connected to the USB ports for more than a day when this crash happened.
Before it, a SSD was connected for over a week and all was OK. Although it seems to me that samba4 was eating too much RAM.

Samba 4.17 has been fast and stable for me (wrt32x) zero crashes. 4.17.4 is out so maybe someone could update this package, but mostly just has CVE fixes no crash bugs on the changelog. Could be an issue related to something else.

1 Like

Anyone know why samba4 packages aren't in today's build for cortex-a9?
[https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/packages/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16/packages/]

It's weridly in ALL other architectures except this one. Ran a new build today for some testing on my wrt32x and noticed it missing. I use it regularly on this target so hopefully it's a temporary issue.

Index of /snapshots/faillogs/arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16/packages/samba4/ (openwrt.org)

looks like it's failing to compile for this specific target

1 Like

Edit: yes looks like this is resolved for arm_cortex-a9_vfpv3-d16 on the 3/5 builds. Packages are back, can't tell what fixed it, but I closed the bug report.

Since the 23.0x branch is likely this month any chance you could bump to Samba 4.18.0 so it gets into the release? There are some nice performance improvements, along with good fixes like spotlight for mac users.

[https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.18.0.html]

No samba4-server again at present for Cortex-a9. This is frustrating, as my WRT1200AC isn't supported in the stable builds due to the switch issue. I wish I'd remained on the previous snapshot I was running so I didn't need to reinstall samba!

I'm also getting:

• pkg_hash_check_unresolved: cannot find dependency libpopt for rsync
  • pkg_hash_fetch_best_installation_candidate: Packages for rsync found, but incompatible with the architectures configured

I suppose I'll have to go back to 22.03.2, which was the last stable build (from October).

EDIT: It occurred to me immediately after flashing 22.03.2 that I could have booted into the alternate partition which hadn't been updated. Bummer.

I wouldn't worry a ton of packages are on the faillog today. Something must have happened. But yea it's best to keep a working snapshot with your packages from image builder handy if you gotta roll back.

Does anyone monitor the builds for such failures? It's not the first time samba has disappeared recently. It would be great if there was a mechanism for whoever runs the builds to be notified and if possible, resolve it, rather than potentially being stuck with the issue for days.

No because the master snapshots aren't to be used for stable/reliable builds, it's for testing and advancing the project. It just happens to be very stable the majority of the time. The 23.03 might branch end of the month, then things will start to be more stable and reliable for this.

Btw, normally I don't spend so much time in snapshot builds but kernel 5.15 is needed for mvebu targets (both our routers) because of the switch issue in 5.10. It's also nice to use much newer packages like Samba in master.

edit: the easy way to avoid getting "stuck" is to use the firmware selector custom image, put all the packages in you want, and save the factory and sysupgrade images with all the packages in. I do this every couple weeks, then you have a build handy you can always roll back to. Otherwise, just keep a known working build on the alternate partition on your router.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I didn't know there was such a tool. Can you please advise where it is?

Sure they actually link it with each release of OpenWrt:
https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/?version=SNAPSHOT&target=mvebu%2Fcortexa9&id=linksys_wrt1200ac

Just enter your target, click "Customize", then in the box add the package names you want to include, then click Request Build. Within 5min you'll have download links to a custom build with all your packages included. (Just note that if the packages aren't building on snapshots due to this current error or whatever just wait a day and try again.)

For reference, here is the list of packages I paste in for my WRT32X setup:
luci luci-ssl irqbalance luci-app-advanced-reboot luci-app-sqm luci-app-simple-adblock luci-app-samba4 luci-app-upnp kmod-usb3 kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-storage-uas block-mount usbutils mount-utils luci-app-hd-idle kmod-fs-exfat nano bmon htop iperf3

1 Like

That's awesome. I had no idea it existed. Thanks for mentioning it!

Getting a samba 4.18 pull request together but can't actually test it at the moment. Seems to compile fine.

If you build your own OpenWRT/packages you can grab the PR here:

1 Like

Quick update, Samba 4.18 is fast and stable, looks like a great release. Tested on my WRT32X easily maxes out gigabit lan speeds of 120 MB/s without a lot of cpu usage. Hopefully the PR can get in before the 23.03 branch off (if that's to happen this month).

2 Likes